Union Castle line and the gold from africa

Alvin Dusaran

Dec 18, 2010
is it real that the Union Castle line transporting gold from Africa to Europe. i don't know where I read it. but is it true?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm not aware of any formal records kept to the effect, but it's possible. Not just with Union-Castle but any ship in trade at the time which would have a strong room. For obvious reasons of security, the presence of gold on a ship in any location or quantity wasn't something that anybody was eager to advertise.

Alvin Dusaran

Dec 18, 2010
I'm just thinking if Union Castle Line was secretly transporting gold from africa and thats make their company boom at the early of 20th century. I'm not too familiar with the company and their lagacy in shipping and I don't know if they are the leading shipping lines that travels from europe to africa during the 20th century.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm just thinking if Union Castle Line was secretly transporting gold from africa and thats make their company boom at the early of 20th century.<<

Not likely. Gold shipments of any kind would have consisted of specie or bullion which would have been kept in a very secure area like a strong room. While it would be extremely valuable, it wouldn't have taken up a lot of space. You can read more about them at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union-Castle_Line

(Treat this source with some caution. Wikipedia can be useful, but they're not always that incredibly accurate.)

B Portwig

Mar 25, 2019
south africa
there was no secret about the shipping of gold to the uk - it was standard practice on all union castle mailships - till the event of airplanes - there was an interesting theft off the capetown castle

Attachments