Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Ah, so he was your great-great-grandmother's nephew, then. I think your statement "Eino was my g-g-g- grandfather" confused people because that would indicate Eino having sired children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, etc., which of course would have been impossible. Trying to figure out relations of ancestors can be confusing to most people unless they are amateur genealogists. Eino would be your 6th cousin. Thank you for clarifying this for everyone. I'm sure we all support your family's decision regarding Eino's remains. I trust you have all found peace with his identification.

Kind regards,
Kyrila

R

Richard Coplen

Please note that since these postings it has been confirmed that the "Unknown Child" is NOT Eino Panula! Advanced DNA testing and an analysis of the shoes found on the baby's body have proved beyond a doubt that the body was that of SIDNEY GOODWIN. This was reported in last week's Daily Mail newspaper. The "Unknown child" is now known to be SIDNEY GOODWIN.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Thanks, Richard. I was pleased to see that Alan Hustak was identified as the author of the article. He is well-known in the Titanic historic community. Wikipedia also provided our site here as the source of additional information.

In reading the article, I began reading the comments by one of the bloggers. I found it interesting and wished to share it here.

"Clarence Northover, a Halifax Police Department Sergeant in 1912, helped guard the bodies and belongings of the Titanic victims.
'Clothing was burned to stop souvenir hunters but he was too emotional when he saw the little pair of brown, leather shoes about fourteen centimeters long, and didn’t have the heart to burn them. When no relatives came to claim the shoes, he placed them in his desk drawer at the police station and there they remained for the next six years, until he retired in 1918.'
Excerpt from July 26, 2002 letter by Earle Northover, grandson of Clarence Northover."

The article calls Sgt. Northover a "souvenir hunter." I think he was just a sensitive man, a father with children of his own, who couldn't bear the weight of the tragedy of this child's death to add to it by destroying his shoes. I don't think his actions were selfish in the least.

Kyrila

[Moderator's Note: Two threads addressing the same subject have been merged to become this one. MAB]

T

Timothy Trower

Here is a link to the original Alan Hustak article in The Gazette, July 30, 2007.

P

patrick toms

it is intresting that some of the people buried in halifax victims of the disaster of titanic have been identified by dna,i to want to get my investigation of one of the uknown victims,who was lionel leonard on the titanic original name andrew john shannon,unfortunately no investigation can take place as i cannot find the neccesary,proof of change of name,which need not have been written anywhere so far i have been stopped but will carry on.
pat toms president shannon ulster titanic society

May 27, 2007
Saw the Video and it's a tearjerker,
sad.gif
but also moving and well done. A fine tribute to Sidney Goodwin and his unique story.
happy.gif

They should put his name on the Grave Stone but then you have the dilemma because his grave served as a monument to all the unknown children lost in the sinking of Titanic. Although you could argue that Sidney Goodwin deserves to have his name on his Grave Marker. Have to wait and see but I hope they change it.

Nov 11, 2005
Very touching movie. Not exactly what i had thought it to be, but still very well done, given the sensitivity of the story.

Was there any official release of the new story aside from newspapers?

sally frost

Dec 6, 2010
can anyone please enlighten me as im a bit puzzled i have just read an article stating that in 2002 the unmarked grave that belonged to a young baby boy was believed to be the body of eino panula which had been found out through dna testing.But later on in 2007 they changed there minds and said they now believe it to be sidney goodwin .....how do they come to this conclusion when his body had been identified through d.n.a ?? thanks

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]