Unknown Child Positively Identified

P

patrick toms

it is intresting that some of the people buried in halifax victims of the disaster of titanic have been identified by dna,i to want to get my investigation of one of the uknown victims,who was lionel leonard on the titanic original name andrew john shannon,unfortunately no investigation can take place as i cannot find the neccesary,proof of change of name,which need not have been written anywhere so far i have been stopped but will carry on.
pat toms president shannon ulster titanic society

G

George L. Lorton

Saw the Video and it's a tearjerker,
Sad
but also moving and well done. A fine tribute to Sidney Goodwin and his unique story.
Happy

They should put his name on the Grave Stone but then you have the dilemma because his grave served as a monument to all the unknown children lost in the sinking of Titanic. Although you could argue that Sidney Goodwin deserves to have his name on his Grave Marker. Have to wait and see but I hope they change it.

H

Hildur Panula-Heinonen

I have not seen the video, does any one know where i can get a link to see it?

H

Hildur Panula-Heinonen

it says it has been removed by the user, that was the original problem i had with trying to watch it.
Do you know if Derek is the user?

H

Hildur Panula-Heinonen

Very touching movie. Not exactly what i had thought it to be, but still very well done, given the sensitivity of the story.

Was there any official release of the new story aside from newspapers?

W

Weaver Walker

It seemed like there were some errors in the youtube movie, but I'm not an expert.

S

sally frost

can anyone please enlighten me as im a bit puzzled i have just read an article stating that in 2002 the unmarked grave that belonged to a young baby boy was believed to be the body of eino panula which had been found out through dna testing.But later on in 2007 they changed there minds and said they now believe it to be sidney goodwin .....how do they come to this conclusion when his body had been identified through d.n.a ?? thanks

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

TimTurner

TimTurner

.....how do they come to this conclusion when his body had been identified through d.n.a ??
One of the articles linked above (BBC) indicates that the earlier identification was based more on dental records than DNA evidence. I'm not an expert in DNA testing, but I'd assume like all science there's a fair amount of interpretation of the data. The DNA machine won't produce names and addresses. The DNA, for example, may have indicated a 70% match with the first child's relatives, and now registers as a 85% match with the second child's relatives.

EDIT:
Just realized that I'm responding to a post from two Decembers ago.