Unknown Image Olympic

Ray Perks

Aug 21, 2004
Hi,
I just obtained this magic lantern slide entitled the Majestic.

Can anyone confirm this as I have my doubts.
Cheers
Ray
120146.jpg

Sep 26, 2009
Yes, that is the Olympic. I owned a stereoscope (two image) card of the same view. Sharp eyed Joe Carvalho noticed the flag on the stern was flying at half staff. Robert H. Gibbons

Ray Perks

Aug 21, 2004
Hi,
thanks you so much for confirming that it is the Olympic.
Would the flag at half staff have anything to do with the loss of the Great Ship and therefore dating the image?
Cheers

Sep 26, 2009
The full complement of lifeboats seem to indicate that this is the Olympic after the Titanic disaster. I don't recall if Joe Carvalho had a theory on why the stern flag was at half staff. Robert H. Gibbons

Sep 2, 2009
Yes, The Olympic flew her flags at half staff on several occasions - (i.e. death of royal family members etc.) When she rammed the Nantucket Light ship her flags were flown at half mast.

There is an fantastic privately owned image of this showing the Olympic entering the Hudson river after ramming the Light ship with all her flags at half mast. But what is more unbelievable about this image is that her dual house flags on the rear mast are also being flown at half-mast. (A rare image to begin with with her just flying the dual house flags)

Out of respect for the current owner of this image I will let him post a copy of it here on the sight if he feels like it.

Robert: I know Joe C. has also seen this image as I had showed or sent him a copy of it at one time.

Since the image doesn't appear to be the New York or Hudson area as it looks more like Southampton water I would have to guess the death of a royal.

Sep 2, 2009
Jon:

Yes, That original image was at one time owned by Brian Hawley. I am not sure if he or Rob O. own it at the moment.

He also owned the original images of the Olympic and Mauretania awaiting scrapping.

If I remember correctly both these original images were purchased from the recently deceased Ken Shultz.

Ray Perks

Aug 21, 2004
Thank you everyone for such a wealth of knowledge!

It will go nicely with the other WSL slides I have.

Thanks again.

Ray