Unknown passenger

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
Hello all. Whilst doing some research I came across a passenger that died that I have never heard of. The lady in question is a Miss Sarah Hutley. I have looked at all my passenger lists and she is not on them. The only thing I can think of is that she was some sort of servant who was listed with her employer but I get the feeling that she was a 1st class passenger. can anyone clear up my mystery?

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Emma,

I think this is one of the many cases in which certain peoples claimed or are claimed to be aboard Titanic. I once posted a thread about a Miss Laura Burnell who was listed on a passengerlist as a maid of Miss Bonnell. However this seemed to be a mistake. I think the passengerlist is for 99,99% complete and if the people are not on that list, it's almost for sure that they were not aboard.

There are some great passenger-researchers on this board and you might ask them if they perhaps know something about Sarah Hutley.

Many regards,
Rolf.

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
I found the story in a copy of a local newspaper, and there was a great deal written about the lady including the fact that her estate was never settled. there was also a photograph of her. what do I do now?

C

Christine Geyer

Dear Emma,

I got to agree with Rollie. Maybe it was one of the adventurous stories of somebody claiming to have been onboard or cancelled last minute.

Another chance would be that you'd tell us some more data about Mrs. Hutley, that was mentioned in the paper, like where she came from etc. Maybe one of our experts here has an idea.

Many regards
christine

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'm afraid this is probably just another to add to the collection of tall stories. If you really want to check it out, a lot of material is on the public record. What you can access probably depends on where you live and how much you are prepared to spend.

It's possible to get hold of things like death certificates, wills and so forth. Sometimes local papers have stories from 1912 about local folk who were on Titanic. It can mean going through miles of microfilm for nothing but sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes it requires helpers scattered around the country. In the case of the only passenger I've personally researched it took three of us, plus family members, to get the story together. On one occasion just one line in a local paper sent us off on a new trail. You won't know if you don't try.

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
hello again. i fear you are all probably correct in thinking that the woman never travelled on Titanic. though I think that the family believed she did...the paper asked for peoples recollections of the disaster and then printed a selection of them ( in 1985 ) It goes...Mrs Gardiner of of Edenbridge Kent, sends us a photograph of Miss sarah Hutley, who went down on the titanic. very little is known of sarah except that she was related to mrs gardiners grandmother, Mrs Rowley. The photograph ( a proff portrait) was taken in kennington. It goes on to say that her estate was ( at that time) unsettled.
I suppose I could try and contact some of the family as I live nearby. Em