Unknown Space

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Before the Raised Roof Over the First Class Smoking Room and after the Dome over the Aft First Class Entrance, there is a space between the two ladders...what is this space and what was it used for? Thank you!
All Ahead Full!

Dec 6, 2000
Shane,

There is open space which looks as if it was part of the 2nd Class promenade and what on deck plans I will refer to as a narrow boxed area.
Is that what you mean? - If so it is a Light and Air [L&A] shaft.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Kind of...Right between the two ladders on the Boat Deck (not A Deck) that led onto the raised roof of the first class smoking room. Right between the ladders...
Dont over work yourself though! I just want to fill in a blank on my deckplan.
All Ahead Full!

Dec 6, 2000
Shane,

If it is the narrow boxed area directly between the ladders on the Boat Deck [not A-deck] then it is a Light and Air [L&A] shaft.

What deck plans do you have access to?

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
You'll do ten times better acquiring some detailed plans that are out on the market for sale. Really, they will go much farther answering many of the questions you're putting forth....

Titanic - Triumph and Tragedy's endpaper plans by Eaton and Haas are one avenue to consider - they have most rooms IDed - the plans here are good for basic deck layouts, but for someone like yourself wanting more answers, you'll do better by getting a set of plans available for purchase. The most detailed ones are the GA plans found at the TRMA site. It shows the rooms and their furniture layout.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Just as a thought, if you can, you might want to seek some kind of employment to earn the money. Those deckplans offered through the TRMA are well worth it, and a positive cash flow will make it possible to do some serious research. Just something to think about as this can be a very expensive passtime.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Not if I can get it here and along other online sources. There is never ANY reason to buy these plans for the outrageous prices they charge when you can do a little digging (something I engoy anyway). So why would I purchase them and take all the fun away of researching? By the way, Michael, if you have some employment openings, by all means holler. I would LOVE to get a second job to just buy deckplans...lol.
Thanks!
All Ahead Full!

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Personally, I would think that $45 for a complete set of plans would be an easy trade-off for hundreds of hours of online research that doesn't really exist online, anyway... but, I also see what we're dealing with.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>There is never ANY reason to buy these plans for the outrageous prices they charge when you can do a little digging <<

$45.00 hardly strikes me as being outrageous, and if you really wish to do some serious researching, especially in regards digging up primary sources, you will have to have some sort of income to finance the costs of travel, making copies of important documents etc.

Nothing comes free anywhere.

Regards finding an extra job, checking the Help Wanted adverts is always a good start.