Unpublished photo of the Queen Mary

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Here's a photo of the Queen Mary that has never been published. A few years ago, it was given to me by a relative of mine and I must have jumped two feet upon receiving it, due to my excitement. I have a hunch that it was taken by my grandfather. It shows her in the fitting out basin at the John Brown Shipyard.

It's a very interesting photo for many reasons. The port side lifeboats can be seen, her name can be clearly seen on the port bow, the number one funnel still needs to be painted; the forward mast has not yet been installed and the forward well deck is being worked on by the huge crane.

I've estimated from the history timeline, that it was taken at the end of September or sometime in October of 1934.

98613.jpg

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hi Jason,

It is a wonderful photo. You are lucky to own it.

As the Queen Mary was launched in Sept. '34, I would date the photo much later than this.

Kyle

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Kyle,

Thanks, it's one of my favourite items in my collection.

I've taken a look at the timeline again and you're right, it was much later. I read the timeline wrong and did not take the launch into account, so judging by the weather in the photo, it was most likely in early to late spring of 1935. I must have been really tired that evening, so thanks for pointing it out.

Hi Jerry,

I'm sure you'll have a great time, seeing her in person. One of these days, I hope to get out there to do the same. No doubt, a local LA resident will be more than pleased to show me around the ship!
grin.gif

Addendum: It may have even been taken in the late summer, so that's another possibllity.

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
Hi Jason,

Try planning a trip this summer. I've already started saving and want to make it out there in June or July. Lets get an E.T. gathering going!!!
:)

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
No doubt, a local LA resident will be more than pleased to show me around the ship!
Absolutely!! The only drawback is that the bungee jump attraction is no longer there (many people at the 1995 & 1997 THS Conventions will recall that), so you won't get the view of what it looked like from the mid-point of that crane.
However, nobody will be yelling to you "YOU COME DOWN FROM THERE, THIS MINUTE!!", followed by "I DIDN'T MEAN THAT WAY"!!!
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Sean,

I'm trying to save money, so I can get out there. It would be a blast, if we could get a bunch of people from here!
happy.gif

Hi John,

quote:

The only drawback is that the bungee jump attraction is no longer there

No problem, I wasn't planning to go bungee jumping anyways.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2005
Please do a high quality image scan and put it somewhere on the net. It would be nice to for others to have access tto the image.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Richard

I should think Jason might respond " you must be joking". I doubt whether he wants other people to have good copies of his unique photo. It would probably turn up on eBay as an alleged original.

If I've been talking out of turn I apologise. I expect Jason will comment in due course.

Apr 27, 2005
Ernie: I certainly would not respond negatively in such a case, but I am one of those people who believe that history belongs to everyone. If the photo is truly as unique as we might believe, then one person shouldn't have the only access to it. It's a little like the millionaire who purchases a famous piece of art so he can have it in his home alone. There is something very wrong with that in my mind. I may be a unique "flake-o" on this idea, but there, I've said it. Conversely, if some publisher want to print it in a book, the owner has every right to expect a reasonable fee for the use of his property.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Richard, Ernie:
If Jason wishes to share copies of that picture, especially a large-size image, with others, then that is his choice.

RE: Try planning a trip this summer. I've already started saving and want to make it out there in June or July. Lets get an E.T. gathering going!!!
I'd be thrilled to play host to a group from ET; it would be great for people to see the Queen Mary, including areas used for "SOS TITANIC" and "THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE". You can also see the Father Pirrone cutaway models, in the Engine Room Area.

No problem, I wasn't planning to go bungee jumping anyways.
Actually, you had a unique view of the ship from that tower (yes, "I took the plunge", twice; when one is told "No Refunds", one can easily decide to take "the express route" off the platform: up to seven people go up the elevator, and only two return that way).
wink.gif
grin.gif

Sean, Jason, just let me know when you can make it out to LA.
grin.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Richard,

quote:

Please do a high quality image scan and put it somewhere on the net. It would be nice to for others to have access tto the image.

Why? You must be joking! So anyone on the web can pass it off as their own and publish it in a book without my permission, or perhaps auction it off on ebay as an original and scam people as Ernie has suggested? No, I don't think so. I would have to be nuts to do that. There are a lot of people out there that don't obey copyright rules, so they would surely grab at the chance with my photo. I've taken the time to share it with the members here and that's as far as I'm going.

quote:

If the photo is truly as unique as we might believe, then one person shouldn't have the only access to it

As we might believe? I beg your pardon? The photo had been in my family for sixty-seven years, before it was given to me. There's no reason to suggest it's been elsewhere or published before then. Plus, there are researchers out there, that have information that has not been seen by others, but they don't wish to share it. Yes, that is selfish, but not choosing to publish it on the web so anyone and everyone has access to it, is not. It's my photo and I own the copyrights, so whatever I choose to do with it is my choice.

If someone wishes to have it for their own personal use, then all they have to do is e-mail me.

Hi Ernie,

Thank you. You said it perfectly.

Apr 27, 2005
Jason, I must be made of different stuff than you or Ernie. I'm sure the photo gives your great comfort. I wouldn't want you to miss a single opportunity to publish the picture as soon as the offers start rolling in.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Richard- It is a sad fact, but as was said above, unless one right click disables one's photos before posting them, one DOES tend to find the better shots all over the 'net and eBay. I recently had the dubious pleasure of having someone send me a scan of one of my OWN PHOTOS as coming from his personal archive. There is a great inclination to share these things, but unfortunately one must post lower quality scans and "brand" them as Jason has done....it is quite annoying to find a photo for which one paid a not inconsiderable amount of money being sold on eBay by someone else. I always crop my shots after I scan them, using some internal feature as an 'invisible' guide line so I always know when the photo on eBay is one of my own.

>I wouldn't want you to miss a single opportunity to publish the picture as soon as the offers start rolling in.

Believe it or not, they do. An even fifty or so of my better shots are coming out in book form shortly, lent to an author who saw them here on ET. A second book was just released in the UK with perhaps a dozen of my photos in it- again, an author I met through ET. So, there is a fair chance that someone will see Jason's QM shot who might want to publish it in either book or magazine form. A lot of people "lurk" here, and many of us have been surprised by off board contacts. I hope that someone does eventually pick the photo up- it is a nice shot.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but I am one of those people who believe that history belongs to everyone. If the photo is truly as unique as we might believe, then one person shouldn't have the only access to it. <<

History may belong to everyone but copyright issues and all the rights that append to that still apply. Jason, Jim, and Ernie all make some valid points about internet piracy. It's a very common problem and one that doesn't look like it's going to be brought under control anytime soon. I don't blame anyone for wanting to protect their rights in regards the research they've done or the ephemera in their lawful possession.

If people want to see this photo, then all they have to do is come here to this very thread to do so.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I, too, wish to say that we have to respect Jason's thoughts and feelings on this issue.

I, for one, would never try to make a profit on that shot. However, we cannot presume that others will feel the same way. As Jim has stated, there are individuals who try to claim your photos and prints are theirs, and do so withouth the slightest thought of sharing any gains they have, nor acknowledging anyone else's contributions. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
John thanks for the offer. Now we really have to get a group together and make it happen!

I have to agree with the thoughts on piracy. One only has to type in "Titanic Photo" on Ebay to easily identify scans that have been taken from well known books which are easy to identify by the way the photos have been cropped. I wont list names of sellers who do this on a regular basis but needless to say this kind of practice ruins it for everyone. There are people who would like to share but dont for the fear of having their property stolen, which in totally understandable.

Mary Hamric

Apr 10, 2001
What a great pic! Thanks for sharing it. I have been in love with the QM since I was a child growing up in Southern California. I spent many days on the decks of that ship. It's just wonderful.