Unsinkable The Full Story

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks Julian. That's interesting with quite a few memoirs considering 50 years had passed since the tragedy.

Getting back to Rene's strange encounter with the man in Southampton, do you know if it is mentioned in Lord's A Night To Remember? (Could you check? My own copy is inaccessible at present). If it is, the incident could be true, except that the stranger, whoever he was, did not get off in Cherbourg. The fact that Rene Harris did not see the man again is not proof that he was not on board. She might have persistently missed him or he may even have skillfully avoided her, embarrassed by what he had said to her in Southampton.

But if the incident is not mentioned in ANTR, we have to ask ourselves the source from which Geoffrey Marcus got the information. There is quite a bit of embellishment in his book The Maiden Voyage but they are almost all non-specific superlatives and such related to the ship itself or the atmosphere on board. But since Marcus specifically alludes to Rene Harris, one must assume that he got that information from somewhere. He does not quote any reference to that and as far as I know never interviewed Rene herself.

Any thoughts?

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Arun, on a hopefully not too unrelated note, you have a copy of Lightoller's book, have you read it, and if so, would you recommend it?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
it has a bit of nostalgic value but not a lot more; certainly no new information. Without going into specifics, there are a lot of contradictory statements there that would be questioned today. Like some early reviewer commented "A narrative to which one has to allow the latitude normally afforded to an old sea dog reminiscing". That just about sums it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
It has a bit of nostalgic value but not a lot more; certainly no new information. Without going into specifics, there are a lot of contradictory statements there that would be questioned today. Like some early reviewer commented "A narrative to which one has to allow the latitude normally afforded to an old sea dog reminiscing". That just about sums it up.
That's a good one. I like it. That reviewer must have been a diplomat in another life.

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Arun,

I linked you what is in the Walter Lord/Macquitty archive at Greenwich, as found/researched by Paul Lee.

I don't have 'A Night to Remember' by Walter Lord, or 'The Night Lives On', but as you can see from what Paul discloses, there is no mention of the incident you mention in the archive.

There are others better placed than me to comment on Titanic survivors' accounts, and no doubt in due course you might get a better reply; but according to Paul Lee's research, the answer is not via Walter Lord.

Cheers,

Julian

Reactions: 1 user