Up for sale: House where Titanic captain was born

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
THE house where Titanic captain Edward John Smith was born is up for sale The skipper of the illfated liner grew up in the twobed Victorian terrace in Well Street Hanley which is now on the market for 80000 | thisisstaffordshire.co.uk

More...

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Not this hoary old chestnut of no.51 again? That's been well and truly exposed. The house the Captain was born in has long been demolished by construction of the ring road. The houses at the bottom end of Well Street were built in the 1880's or 90's - long after Smith was born in Well Street.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Looking at the Estate agents website, I note that it is the current 51 Well Street that is being offered for sale. As Gary Cooper explains in his new book 'Titanic Captain' the house number of the Smith's house on the 1851 census given as 51 was an enumerators number not the actual house number. The myth surrounding number 51 has been perpetuated until more recently. An aquaintance living in the Stoke area sent me a cutting from the local paper, 'The Sentinel', last year and a correspondent indicated that the plaque had at last been removed from no.51. I'm surprised in the light of this that the vendors are allegedly trying to sell this house on the basis that 51 was Smith's birthplace.