Updated Deck Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2000
Hello,
This is my first message. I've been interested in the Titanic for ten years, but never obsessively. I only have three books on the subject, but I'm looking for more.
Anyway...
The deck plans on this site aren't finished; Decks B-D are completely unlabeled. The plans appear to be abandoned. If they can be fully labeled, they would probably be the best Titanic plans on the net. Are there any plans to update the drawings, or will they remain the same?

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Daryl,

Even in their unlabelled state I personally find the plans on this site problematical.
a) Most of the layouts for the private bathrooms on C-deck are wrong.
b) Although you do not mention A-deck the plans of A-36 and A-37 are also wrong.
c) Overall there are scale problems and missing features.

Lester

A

Alison Schurr

Hi
could someone please help me with a small problem.
I am very interested in the deck plans of the Titanic and would like to know what the initials stand for on various parts of the ship
e.g. BR, Fan TR, B, S, etc.
could someone please help me as I would find it helpful to know what they are talking about. thank in advance
Ali

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Ali,

In looking at the Eaton & Haas plans in: Titanic Triumph & Tragedy, they give B as an abbreviation for Bathroom, but in fact use BR, so I will say both BR and B = bathroom. Fan = Fan or Fans. For S E&H say "shower room (crew)". TR eludes me. Which deck? Where?

Whose plans are you looking at to get these abbreviations?

Lester

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello there,

I also can't find TR on the deckplans, but I like to add something to the list. What does "A.E. place" means? Probably something with the boiler rooms???

Greetings Rollie
happy.gif

Jul 20, 2000
Greetings Ali and Rollie,

Found TR. The area forward and aft of the boiler casings have vents on each corner; with the central part divided between Fan and TR. Guess it must be part of the ventilation/cooling/air system. Hope someone with technical/nautical/enginering knowledge can explain it for you.

Rollie, according to E&H A.E. = Ash ejector. I guess something to do with removing the ash from the boiler rooms. There seem to be 4 Ash Places located on E-deck and 2 Ash ejectors on F-deck. All 6 areas have what appear to be stairways in them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lester

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Dear all,

It is certainly true to say that the deck plans are in need of some work!
happy.gif
But I have not had time or resources to do them justice. I think proper CAD system would be needed. Really they are not meant to be definitive at all just rough sketches really. There are others who have produced very detailed plans - I forget the name of the chap right now, Hahn or something. If you want high quality deck plans they are available. In the meantime if anyone wants to volunteer to bring the deckplans up to scratch I'm more than happy to farm that one out! Otherwise maybe I should try to persuade the fellow - oh whatsisname - to lend some simplified version of his for the site.

Phil

Bill Sauder

Nov 14, 2000
F TR = FN TR = Fan Trunk. That refers to the ventilation shaft that carries air from the vent head down to the boiler room stoke hold fans.

Bill Sauder

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Lester,

Thanks for explaining what A.E. means. Now I know their function it seems logically for me. I was wondering if the stairs from the boilerrooms ended into those A.E. area's. Was is an exit for the firemen in case of danger??

Mr. Hind: Don't bother about the deckplans. I think they are very clear for people who are introduced on the Titanic for the first time. The new versions of the deckplans in ET are far more better than the first ones.
BTW, I seems me almost impossible (according to the discussions on this site) that there are clear and full-updated deckplans of the Titanic!(haha)

Greetings Rollie
happy.gif

Cal Haines

Nov 20, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
Hi Everyone,

There were two systems for disposing of ash from the boilers: ash ejectors for use at sea and ash hoists for use in port. There were ten ash ejectors, two in each of the large boiler rooms (boiler rooms 2 through 6). Ash ejectors have a hopper in the floor of the boiler room where the ash is shoveled, to be carried up an inclined pipe and expelled into the sea by a jet of high-pressure water. Ash hoists are vertical lifts that carry ash in bags. The four rooms on E-deck marked "Ash Place" are where the upper ends of the ash hoists were located, as well as the ends of four of the ash ejectors. Ash was lifted up to the ash room where a man would dispose of it through a door in the side of the ship. The ladders from the boiler rooms were used to get up to the ash room and were not intended as escapes (although it would be possible to escape using the doors in the side). The escape ladders for the boiler rooms climbed up alongside the boilers updates (flues), allowing access to E-deck (there also appears to have been exits on A-deck, but the doors do not appear on the deck plans).

Phil wrote:
... There are others who have produced very detailed plans - I forget the name of the chap right now, Hahn or something ...

You can get more information on the Hahn plans here: Hahn Plans at TRMA. They aren't deck plans, but extremely detailed plans of the exterior of Titanic intended for model-makers. The "Standard" plan set is the most detailed, available on four sheets at either 1:100 or 1:144 scale. Standard Plan Set Details - Hahn The sheets are three feet wide by as much as 12 feet long and packed with detail. The set includes 5 views of Titanic, details of all the objects on the exterior decks, and cross-sections of the hull for modeling.

Another source of deck plans is Joe Knapp's page The White Star Liners "OLYMPIC" and "TITANIC, which includes high resolution scans of the deck plans published by Engineering in 1911. You will not be able to view the plans from your browser due to their size. You need to right-click on the link and use "Save As" to download them to your hard drive. (I use Microsoft Photo Editor to view them.)

There are some errors in the Engineering plans, such as a door leading from a third class cabin to the swimming pool. That one always amuses me. I can imagine an immigrant opening that door and exclaiming, "Blimey! Will you look 'a this Luv! We got 'ar own swimmin' pool. Can ya imagine what them's in first class must 'ave!"
happy.gif

Warm Regards,

Cal

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Cal,

Cannot find the door that you refer to in the Shipbuilder plans as published in: Olympic & Titanic Ocean Liners of the Past. There is a doorway at the after end from a passageway that has no door (corrected by E&H)into the area of the lower Grand Staircase. At the 3rd Class end there is the entrance door for room 99. Do your plans show another door from this room?

Lester

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Cal,

Just to update. Looked at Knapp's plans. He has the door from room 99 opening onto the Swimming pool instead of the passageway.

Lester

A

Alison Schurr

Hi everyone
Sorry I haven't been around for a while but with Christmas and all….

Lester: BR actually stands for "bedroom steward"

The plans I refer to are from the CD-ROM "Titanic - Voyage of Discovery"

Do you Know what "P" means . It appears as a small room about the size of a storeroom on mainly cabin decks

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Alison,

While I am not familiar with the CD-ROM, I can say that BR does NOT stand for "Bedroom Steward"; it means Bathroom. If you look at the deck plans in Eaton & Hass: Titanic Triumph and Tragedy; B-deck you will find there are 25 BRs:

6 located in conjunction with the Gentlemen's Lavatories; 5 in conjunction with the Ladies' Lavatories; 2 (one each) in conjunction with the Parlour Suites and the other 12 (one each) in conjunction with the Suites of Rooms.

The same general principal applies on C-deck; etc. For A-deck E&H use the abbreviation B.

Hope this helps,
Lester

Mar 17, 2001
Hey Lester,
How is it that the plans for A-deck are wrong with A-36 and A-37 this is where Father Browne said his room was and Thomas Andrews in the room on the other side if someone who was there and said he was in A-37 and it was on the starboard side then how could he be wrong he even drew it on the brochure they gave him so please explain yourself.

Jul 20, 2000
Hey Richard,

What I said back in December with specific reference to the deck plans on this web-site was: "... the plans of A-36 and A-37 are also wrong."

As indeed they are. The bathroom and lavatory were in one compartment, which as with the bedroom was entered from a small lobby, which was entered from opposite to where the stairs came up from B-deck. What shows as the lavatory on the A deck-plans on this site is actually the lobby. There was no doorway from the bedroom into the after grand staircase entrance way.

If you do not have a plan showing this then I refer you to the plans in E&H. Alternatively subsequent deck plan changes to the Olympic also show rooms A-36 (numbered A-46) and A-37.

I believe that Father Browne's hand drawing is incorrect. -(See his plan for A-36.)- His handwritten note reads: My suite was here - bedroom - sitting-room - bathroom with private entrance. That in fact the bedroom and sitting-room were -(In that regard the deck plan on this site is correct.)- only one room. There was insufficient space for the two rooms Browne's drawing shows.

Lester

Jul 20, 2000
Richard,

As a follow up to what I just posted; I also refer you to a Boxed Set of Titanic Documents: TITANIC: The Official Story, April 14-15, 1912.

No 4 (In the: A Guide to the Contents of This Box) is a set of Deck Plans of the Titanic showing deck accommodation - Harland and Wolff.

If you look at those plans they show A-36 and A-37 as each comprising a stateroom; a private bathroom and a lobby. Although no external door is marked both the the stateroom and bathroom (as in the E&H deck plans and in my Olympic deck plans) are shown as having doorways from the lobby. Since both of those plans show a door from the After 1st Class Entrance into the lobby there seems little doubt that that was correct.

Lester

Status
Not open for further replies.