Updated Mauretania Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the kind words. I was writing a book as you know a few years ago, but found the publisher...uh...unworkable and quit. I was pleased to turn all my research, photographs and materials over to someone writing what ought to be the definitive volume on this great liner. I agree, the Mauretania comes up short. Very few books with accurate data have been published in the last years. Once this article is updated and I finish tweaking the color glass plate photograph I was asked to create for Jim's voluminous Lusitania article, I will start work on color renderings of her two dazzle schemes, port and starboard patterns for each, from the original Wlkinson plans.
I do plan a small book, in future, describing her last years 1933-34. Based on a detailed cruise diary I have and illustrated with about 80 unpublished candids and rich with evocative mementos from this period such as table number cards, wine labels, pressed flowers and so on, I hope this book will be of interest.

Best always,
Eric

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's a shame the publisher you were trying to work with proved so intractable. However, I suppose/hope 2012 will be a good year to be publishing liner books. With the centinary of the Titanic coming up, I would hope that some of the interest rubs off. If this chum you mentioned manages to write that definitive work, I'll be queing up to get it and yours as well.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mike,

The other day, September 20, marked the 102ND anniversary of the end of the Mauretania's first set of trials (among other things, such as her launch in '06, the QM's launch in '34 if memory serves etc.). The article mentioned above covers this bit and more. Some minor bugs are being ironed out right now and I'll post when it is completed. No illustrations this time - just data. Hope you enjoy!

Best wishes,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mike,

That would be a thick book!
happy.gif

Looking forward to your opinion.

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

On October 22, 1907, at 2 pm (much later than planned), the Mauretania left the Swan Yards bound for Liverpool. Today marks the 102 anniversary of the start of her delivery trip which ended two days later. The article mentioned above is in the final stages of being updated and expanded for the third time; some minor corrections need to be carried out and several unpublished illustrations are being added. It covers this "North About" trip as well as a good bit before and after. I will post when the update is complete.

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in this work. Some bugs to be worked out, but I took Mike's suggestion and am adding a bunch of unpublished photographs covering her very first arrivals in New York so hopefully it will be worth the wait
happy.gif
New early images coming as well - great stuff.

Best,
Eric

Jun 10, 1999
Eric: In accordance with your, about the author page, you look different than I had imagined. They say I look like Ken Marschall, brown hair mustache, however, I don't have the same artist's hand ;-) BTW, I bet it was you that just topped me as, E-Bay high bidder, on the pre-maiden voyage p.c. of Mauretania ('07) w/postmark from Newcastle. What a steal
for less than $60.00

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>In accordance with your about the author page, you look different than I had imagined.

Eric is a man of many faces, Michael:

205854.jpg

this being, by far, my favorite likeness.
happy.gif

Seriously, 'though, it is good to see new images being added and the text being updated. One of the best features of online journalism is the elasticity it offers.... nothing is ever truly finished, no minor glitch left uncorrected until the second edition and, best of all, interesting discoveries dont have to wait until that elusive second edition to see the light of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.