Updates

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi,
I thought I'd drop by to let you know I've updated my Titanic webpages; in particular every few days I put up some extracts that I have gleaned from my University and British Library trips which I do every few weeks. I also have a "on this day in history", which as you can imagine refreshes quite a lot on April 14th/15th to cover the multitude of events on those days. Its at www.paullee.com/titanic

Cheers!

Paul

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Mr. Lee, I was hoping to catch you, as I have a question. First though, love your website. I frequent it often.

My question is, According to Layton book 'The Edwardian Superliners', you and Halpern have access to the Rowe/Powell interview taken on March 2, 1963, so I was wondering if you, Sam, or anyone, can tell me where to find this, I would be extremely grateful.

Also, as a side note, in the Titanic Commutator Vol. 25 Number 156, in the Rowe letters to Kamuda, there is a foot note on page 270, that reads, 'In another letter Rowe stated, "And there was no Rocket fired till I took them on to the bridge myself..."' Does anyone know to which letter this footnote is referring to?

Thanks and much obliged.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Brad,
Thanks for your message (I found your email to me last night in my spam folder - for some reason gmail has been putting a lot of messages in there, its infuriating).
To answer your questions:
I don't have access to the Rowe/Powell interview, sorry. Do you know if it was published and if so, where? I am going on another major research trip to the British Library at the end of April and I can requisition the paper of journal. I don't know which letter Rowe is talking about. I know the Commutator you're talking about and was surprised the other letter wasn't included.

Best wishes

Paul

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Unfortunately, I do not know if the interview(s) were ever published. All I know is that according to Senan Molony, in his paper, '12:45am - A Time to Go', writes of one letter:

This reply, stamped in receipt by the MMSA, is now in the files of the Merseyside Maritime Museum, reference D/LO 3/4/24. (Publication permission granted by Nautilus, successor organisation to the MMSA.)

If I find anything more I will let you know.

Maybe I will try to get a hold of Mr. Molony or Mr. Layton, also. Thanks very much for your help, and good luck in your research trip!

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
I found the above interview in one of your paper 'Rowe, rockets and the riddle of Titanic time'. (lol) Always after the fact. Do you (or anyone reading this) have access to the March 5, 1963 Rowe/Leslie Harrison letter? In your article you state, "in 1963, Rowe wrote that his lifeboat followed a mysterious light which he seen to the Titanic's right rear, whereas in 1912, he noted that he had seen the Titanic stem-on when she sank; he had following the well-known light to the right front of the ship." Is this from that letter?

Sorry for bugging you. I am trying to create a spread sheet of all known interviews, letters, testimonies, etc. that Rowe gave, in chronological order. See what was consistent and what was not throughout time.

I will list the sources I have, and if anyone knows of any other, I would greatly appreciate the heads up. I will compile all the data, and present it on this site once done.

US Inquiry, Wreck Commissioner Inquiry, Walter Lord letter 1955ish? (via Paul Lee's site), 1956 Documentery (via Paul Lee site), Kamuda letters Sept. 1963, August 1968, and follow up, Powell interview 3/2/63, Powell letter 6/12/63, and Titanic Commutator Vol. 25 # 156 unknown letter stated in foot note.

Thanks

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Hello there Paul! Nice to see you're still around.

I'm very interested in Rowe's remarks about a light on the starboard quarter and Smith's explanation. This seems to tie-in with the evidence of those in boat number 2 which rowed in a north east direction from Titanic's starboard side. The crew of that boat were ordered by Boxhall to keep 'under a bright star' or words to that effect. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Vega would have been north east of the sinking Titanic.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Never mind Mr. Lee, my mistake. It's the same letter.

How observant am I?
Answer... not very, apparently. lol. (I feel really dumb right now, oh well)

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Don't worry about it. I've just spent 20 minutes working on a file only to realise I already had it written up!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
It is a screenshot of the 2012 miniseries by Julian Fellowes, showing Paolo Sandrini entering his cabin. The other person there is Seaman Scott. I don't know if seamen berthed together with 1st class saloon stewards.
No they did not. The stewards had their cabins on E Deck on the port side along the Scotland Road. If I remember the series right Sandrini was working in the 1st class dining saloon and would have been in one of the large rooms for saloon waiters. The seamen had their quarters at the bow on E Deck close to hatch No. 2.