US Federal Court Judge Bars RMST from cutting into Titanic

May 9, 2001
Yes, its true. CNN.com just posted the news story. A federal judge has issued a court order that restricts the company from cutting into the wreck to retrieve articles. It also re-states the rule that no artifacts may be sold. Only the entire artifact collection may be sold in lump and only if it is to be publicly displayed.
Sounds like this judge is loosing confidence in RMST's ability to be objective and scientific about the care of the Titanic wreck.
Sweet Victory!!!
Yuri Singleton

To see the article go to:

http://WWW.CNN.COM/2000/LAW/08/01/titanic.salvage.ap/index.html

J

James Collier

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! And about time too!!

Titanic Inc should be forced to leave the ship alone. I mean, I know that turning everything into a big money making machine is the American way, but the Titanic should be left out of it...

K

Karen Rock

Best news I've heard all day! I think I'll go and have a drink and toast some 1500 peacefully resting souls.

B

Bill DeSena

I think I'll have one too, would have loved to see those diamonds, sigh!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What took the judge so long to lose confidence? Not that I'm complaining. The treasure hunting has gone way too far. If somebody wants to dive on the wreck, let it be somebody interested in genuine scientific investigation.

BTW:where did this sack of diamonds thing start? The press loved it, but what are their sources?
Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

B

Bill DeSena

Just the traesure hunters, er I mean "researcher" I think, that's how I heard about it through some confidential investor stuff.

Bill

L

Lorena Guevara

I personally still wish who ever is in charge would continue efforts to raise the entire ship to display somewhere. I can't enough of titanic.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Lorena, at the current state of the art, raising the ship is quite impossible. She's already in two large peices, and literally thousands of little ones. Besides, display where andd how would anyone be able to properly conserve whatever was recovered? Aside from that, there would be serious safety issues involved due to the ongoing deterioration of the wreck. Even if some hypothetical "Scotty" could beam her up out of the deep, the structure has been sufficiently compromised that any tours would be phenomonally dangerous.

Raising the Titanic makes for good fantasy for the movies, but in real life, it's never going to happen. By the time anyone develops the technology, there won't be anything left to raise. Sorry if this sounds a little blunt, but those are the realities.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

B

Bill Desena

Hi Lorena and Michael

The Swedish warship Vasa also on its maiden voyage sunk with heavy loss of life and was successfully raised and has been preserved as a museum in Stockholm harbor for over 20 years now so it might be possible that someday, before the rust takes over completely; some portion of Titanic could be raised and museumed. Of course, (Michael) Vasa, is wood, in shallow water, no ship boring worms (rust) and close to full port and docking facilities so the problem isn't as complex as Titanic's raising would be. Also, she is still property of the Royal Swedish Navy and no chance of her being parted out for sale and profit.

On the other hand, maybe in 3000 we will have invented time travel and be able to visit the real thing! It would be great to book a passage to Cherbourg. I wonder if warning Smith would do any real good though? Changing history might not be a good idea the paradox theories you know, but in 1912 nobody would believe that I could sit here and type words into a box that the whole world could see in microseconds either!
Thanks
Bill

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Bill, another point in Vasa's favor was that for most of the time, she was completely buried in mud, effectively protecting her from rapid decomposition. The Titanic didn't fare as well, and the iron eating bacteria responsible for the rusticles have found the ship to be a nice food source. As to raising even a small portion of the Titanic, don't forget the problems encountered when that small section of the hull plating was raised. The lifting bags broke away, the hull section sank back into the mud, and I beleive it was another year befor they could try again. It was quite a fiasco. Frankly, the extreme depths and the limitations of current technology make raising the hulk quite out of the question. I suspect that by the time any such technology is finally developed, there won'tbe anything left to raise.

Yet another point in the Vasa's favor is that the ship flooded and sank so rapidly, that there was no signifigent structural damage. The Titanic was nowhere near as fortunate.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

B

Bill DeSena

Thanks Michael for the response! Yes, I have to agree that perhaps this ship wreck is too far beyond the feeble hands of our technology and should be unattainable.
Bill

M

Marc Thayer III

Excellent news.The Titanic marks the final resting place to the 1,500+ men, women and children who perished aboard her.Let her remain there for the ages.I'm glad that the judge made such a decision and hope that the decision was made based on the human element as the Titanic now is an under water tomb.

May she and the souls who perished with her rest in peace.

Marc Thayer III

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Regardless of orders, the expedition has retrieved a number of items, apparently from within the ship. They include a suitcase containing books and other objects. Whether they are cutting into the hull is another thing. The report says it was done with a remotely controlled device.

For the latest go to CNN and search for Titanic.

D

Don Hatcher

I understand that some where in Titanics cargo hold, there is a 1910 Renault automobile. I wonder what condition she would be in after all these years and if it would be possible to raise her?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Don, considering that the steel of which the auto would be made was a whole lot thinner then Titanic's,(Sheet metal vs Titanic's inch thick plates) I would be stunned if anything remains beyond the engine block and perhaps traces of the upholstrey. In all likelyhood, it was crushed when any cargo broke free and shifted forward when the ship nosedived and/or impacted the bottem. Time and the iron eating bacteria would have taken care of the rest.

I wouldn't count on anyone getting far into the hold for much the same reasons. I understand one of the expeditions tried only to get roadblocked by all the debris. Supposedly, the Titanic's bow is starting to collapse too, though I would take this with a grain of salt. The expedition out there now hasn't been releasing any pictures that I know of. If somebody knows otherwise, I'd love to hear from them...and perhaps get some links to the pictures or stories being released.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

C

Connie S. Smith

I feel for the 1500+ souls that went down with the ship. It is horrifying to think about what took place on April 14th and 15th,1912.What was going through all the passengers minds before they died but, right now, and for future generations, I think the artifacts should be gotten. Save all they can for display and for generations to see and feel the Titanic. I am curious myself to know what the cargo may look like. I would like to see other artifacts from within the ship. Much can be learned about that time and disaster from those artifacts. One day Titanic will collapse onto itself, who's to say that years to come, other companies wont try to did through Titanic once she has crumbled. The passengers were not in the cargo areas when they died, so why not go in and see what is salvagable. It saddens me what happened, I had a relative from my mothers side who perished aboard the ship, but history has made itself and we need to learn more about it and the possesions and lives of the passengers and crew of the RMS Titanic.

B

Bill DeSena

Hi all!

I found an auction listed on ebay for a piece of steel from I assume the "Big Piece." I wonder if its fake or authorized sale? The seller says the pieces fall off when the piece is treated to preserve it he doesn't say how he got hold of it and there is no picture or dimensions provided.

The seller claims to have bought this artifact and in light of the Federal Court decision I wonder if its real how leagl this sale is, perhaps Ebay should be alerted about possible legal issues here? What does the honorable Titanic message board folks think?
Regards
Bill

SEE BELOW ADD
An Actual Peice of the Titanic s hull RARE!!
Item #401765039

An actual peice of the raised hull of the Titanic.
This one of a kind peice of the hull, due to its nature it is irregularly shaped, metalic
rust colored. The full hull is on display and must be sprayed with fresh water every so
often to keep it moist and draw out harmful chemicals from the sea. This process
causes small peices from the edges to flake off, this is one such piece. Sorry, I did a
search for pictures of the hull on yahoo and couldn't find any! I've come across 3
peices which I purchased and have resold one for over $200 to a collector, this is
your chance to get one of these! I haven't seen any others.
Buyer to prepay by Money Order or PayPal.
Due to the interest in the first peice and being kicked out of my apartment I've decided to sell
the remaining peice. To my knowledge there are no other peices availible, so this is your
LAST chance to OWN a peice of the actual ship, this peice is from the original hull of the
Titanic pulled from the ocean floor, not a movie prop. winners who pay by PayPal will
receive free shipping in the US, $2 overseas shipping.

Good Luck!!
Bidding

T

Tracey McIntire

Dear Bill,
The last time this item was on eBay, the lawyers from RMS Titanic Inc. had it removed and threatened legal action against the seller. It is illegal to sell ANYTHING taken from the Titanic wreck. RMS Titanic Inc. has sole ownership of everything and is forbidden to sell any items by a federal judge. So I wouldn't bother bidding--the item will probably be pulled off eBay again.
Sincerely,
Tracey McIntire