US Federal Court Judge Bars RMST from cutting into Titanic

K

Karen Angstadty

Hi Michael...how do you join the Titanic Historical Society? I keep hearing about the Titanic Communator and want to get my hands on all that info. Also, what part of PA did you grow up in? I live in Reading, PA. Karen

K

Karen Angstadt

Hi Michael...how do you join the Titanic Historical Society? I keep hearing about the Titanic Communicator and want to get my hands on all that info. Also, what part of PA did you grow up in? I live in Reading, PA. Karen

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hello Tracey, I don't know if I'll ever get to the Norfolk/Newport News area again. I'm a bit burned out on travel, but I'll keep your invitation in mind. By the way, what is TI? It sounds like something I may want to be a part of.

Karen, type in the Titanic Historical Society as a keyword in your search engine. When you get to the site, click on the heading for membership information. Print out the membership form and send it in along with the dues. As THS doesn't have the means to handle on-line applications, you'll have to send it in by snail mail. The dues are sixty dollars a year and all renewals are due by 15 April regardless of when one joined.

Reading? I grew up in New Stanton.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Michael!
TI is Titanic International, another organization devoted to the Titanic. They are based in New Jersey. I don't have the address handy but they have a web site. I believe Phil Hind has provided a link to it here on the ET site. They have a newsletter/magazine that also provides excellent information.
Hope this helps--
Tracey McIntire

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hello Tracey, I'll have to go fishing for the site then. The more resources the better. I've been fishing about for photos of the wreck from the latest expidition/exploitation and so far, the silence is absolutely deafening! Kinda makes you wonder whats going on. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but something here sure smells!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Tracey, update; I did the websearch last night and sent in my dues and application to TI this morning. Thanks again for the information. Now if only the U.S. Snail refrains from bending the packets which are clearly marked "DO NOT BEND" So far, they've done that to both of my Titanic Commutators.

Cordially
Michael H. Standart

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Michael!

I'm glad you found the site. If I might ask, where do you live? It's too bad your Commutators keep getting bent. Luckily I am in the US so things don't get so mangled!

In regards to your comment about the lack of photos from the current expedition--I too find this strange. There have been several articles stating how serious the deterioration of the wreck is but so far no photos to back this up. I will be interested to see if they eventually appear.

I hope you enjoy your TI membership as much as I do! I am going off-list for the next week as I will be away on vacation.

Sincerely,
Tracey

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Tracey, I live in Easley S.C., which is west of Greenville and close to the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Fortunately, bending my magazines doesn't render them unreadable, but one would wish the U.S. Snail would read the warnings and admonishments on what they deliver.

Re the photos; yes, you would think they would have issued a few now to support their claims. Given the deterioration of the wreck, it's not completely implausible, though hard nosed skeptic that I am, I want to see the proof! I'm certain everybody else here is of the same mind and for the same reasons of mistrusting RMSTI.

I'm looking forward to what TI has to offer. Especially on technical details which interest me.
Oh, and enjoy your vacation. I'll be looking forward to chatting with you.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Michael--
I am back from vacation. I didn't realize you were a southern neighbor--I live in Virginia Beach! Have you seen any photos released by RMST of the wreck? I just checked their web site and they said they will have a new posting once the crew gets things in order. I hope they can support their claims of the deterioration of the wreck. The article in USA Today a while back made it sound like Titanic could collapse at any moment! I'll be interested to actually see for myself.
Sincerely,
Tracey

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Tracey, hope you had fun on your holiday. No, I regret that I haven't seen any recent photos of the wreck and a lot of us here are highly suspicious of that. I understand they had no problems getting some photos of their team back, so I have to wonder why they held back on the wreck photos when releasing them could well have served their interests. One of our board members is with RMS Titanic Inc. and he may be able to shed some light on this...unless he's gagged by a confidentiality agreement. If that's the case, he may not be able to say anything at all even if he wants to scream it out from the mountain tops.

Re USA Today; I can't say as I'm impressed by anything the media says. They like to...shall we say...improve stories a tad in order to be able to sell copy. For all I know, the RMSTI spokespeople may have had their remarks blown out of preportion. I'll make my own judgements when I see the photos.

BTW, I liked Virgina Beach. Especially the Barnes And Noble bookstore. Hated the parking there though. If you couldn't get there at opening time, forget about getting a good space. :-(

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Michael!

I live about 5 minutes down the road from that Barnes and Noble. I know what you mean about parking! I've picked up some good Titanic books at bargain prices there. I just got the "Titanic Reader" which appears to be a collection of writings from 1912-present. It looks very interesting. It's published by Penguin Books. The author's name escapes me at the moment. Have you heard of this? Any opinions?
Still waiting to see RMST's wreck photos . . .

Sincerely,
Tracey

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You live near Virgina Beach BLVD? Ahhhh, my condolances! You could do worse for parking though. Try the Lynnhaven Mall at Christmas time. Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt. I did my bookshopping at the Barnes and Noble off Greenbriar after on taste of those places. It wasn't nearly as bad traffic wise, and you could at least park in the same county.

Can't say as I know anything about the Penguin offering, but if it's a collection of writings, there might be some useful primary source material there. While there can be exceptions, Penguin is not in the habit of publishing trash. Of course, that depends on who was doing the writing. Some of the other members may have something to offer about the book by way of a critique.

As to waiting on some recent photos, welcome to the club.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

T

Tracey McIntire

Michael--
I live a few blocks off the Boulevard just where Rosemont crosses over and ends. It's actually a nice quiet neighborhood. I like being close to the beach but as you say, traffic can be a pain.

I would be interested in opinions on the "Titanic Reader" if anyone out there has read it. I hope to start it this weekend.

Tracey McIntire

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
This may be the same book as I have, edited by John Wilson Foster. My copy is called "Titanic" and was published by Penguin in 1999.

It's full of good stuff but it should be read by those with a good general knowledge already, as it's full of legends and wild tales from 1912. It's great value is in showing how the media reacted to the events.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hello Tracey, I think I know the area you're talking about, and you're right, it's not bad at all. It's just Virginia Beach Blvd which is a pain in the aft. The traffic's a horror!

I'll have to get this Titanic Reader sometime since it seems to be getting some attention.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

J

Joanne Whilden

I feel that every effort should be made to preserve what can of the Titanic. I have been very facinated with it ever since the ship was found.Yes it is a two-edge sword. Some people bring up the artifacts who really want the history and memory to be preserved, while others are in it for "what they can get out of it". I wish there was a way to bring up the ship before it completely deteriorates, but I don't know if that will ever be possible. I have never been to a museum to view the artifacts, but after reading what some of you wrote I think it is a shame that people go into a museum and forget what happened to those people, but I guess you get people like that in all museums. I feel that the history and memories should live on and what came out of this tragedy.-Joanne

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Dave!
That's the one--it has been retitled "Titanic Reader." It looks very good. I will hopefully get a chance to read it this weekend.
Thanks!
Tracey

S

Shane Kruger

hi all,
i think we should bring as much as possible.
the "soles" on board would have wanted it...

get over it every one...

shane

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Shane, I would be very cautious on discussing the attitudes of people long dead until you know what they were. Suffice to say that the survivors regarded the Titanic as a grave and so do their close reletives. I have yet to hear of one who supports salvage(Though a few may exist.)yet I hear plenty about those who are passionately against it. Nobody likes grave robbers, so don't expect or demand that they "get over it." It's disrespectful to the point of rudeness and it's just not going to happen.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart