US political beliefs on the Titanic?

RileyGardner17

Riley Gardner
Jan 14, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Hey all, hopefully this is the correct place to ask such a question.

I'm curious about what a furiously large subjects. In today's world, it's assumed you can go into a specific community and make a guesswork at their political beliefs. Would that have been the same on the Titanic? Could we make an educated guess as to what Titanic's first class' political beliefs might've been, especially in the election year?

Now I realize politics are a broad subject and I certainly don't wish to stray into modern times. But if you were to go around, say, the Smoking Room, would you have found more Taft, Wilson or Roosevelt support? Was there a kind of "consensus" view in the upper classes of that time?

Nov 14, 2005
Hey all, hopefully this is the correct place to ask such a question.

I'm curious about what a furiously large subjects. In today's world, it's assumed you can go into a specific community and make a guesswork at their political beliefs. Would that have been the same on the Titanic? Could we make an educated guess as to what Titanic's first class' political beliefs might've been, especially in the election year?

Now I realize politics are a broad subject and I certainly don't wish to stray into modern times. But if you were to go around, say, the Smoking Room, would you have found more Taft, Wilson or Roosevelt support? Was there a kind of "consensus" view in the upper classes of that time?
I'm guessing you meant first class smoking room. Most of the people in that room would have been capitalists. Capitalists don't really care about politics or causes. They'll use whatever side they can to get the most return on their money. Sounds cynical I know but without capitalism they wouldn't have been in first class. Unless they made their money the old fashioned way (inherited it).
As for the other classes aboard Titanic I'm sure just about every political belief was represented among them.

Reactions: 1 user