Using the Ellis Island site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
While exploring the Ellis Island website I noticed there were three listings for Charles Lightoller in 1919. I've often noticed records of other crew members this way. Which leads to this question -- what was the criteria for the listing of crew members at Ellis Island? Were there certain rules or statutes that changed over time? Or is just a coincidence that evey now and then crew records happen to show up on the Ellis Island website.

D

Deleted member 173198

Hi Mike!

I have tried dozens upon dozens of times to access this site but they all end up in failure.
I don't know what I have done to make things go wrong, but for some unknown reason my application is refused because I reside in the U.K.

Perhaps I need guidance, and only then can I pass on a comment!

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Andrew:
Are you able to access the home page, and then make a name search and then you have trouble? Or do you not even reach the main page? Drop me a line privately, and I'll see what I can do to help.
[email protected]

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
The Ellis Island site has been extremely helpful for me. I've been able to track down several of Captain Lord's voyages to New York City from 1917 to 1922 when he was in command of the Anglo Chilean.

I've also found a possible lead on Ernest Gill from that site as well.

D

Deleted member 173198

To settle those inquisitive curiosities, I am please to report and all thanks to Mike Herbold and Geoff Whitfield own seperate assistances in this matter, my registration with the Ellis Island Site has been accepted.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Sep 20, 2000
I've also found a possible lead on Ernest Gill from that site as well.

Bravo, Tracy! (We'll track down this elusive critter yet, I bet.) :)

Cheers,
John

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
A new, and for some, very useful feature has been added to the Ellis Island site: The ability to search by ship name. Just this afternoon, in about an hour, I discovered New York arrivals by at least two White Star ships (Ceramic and Medic) which I didn't know had ever been there. For ship historians, this is a very helpful addition to the search features of the site.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
LOL!

As you know, one of my weak points is the ships that were on the Australia and New Zealand services, so those were the first ships I looked for. There's not much (and one of the arrivals shown, I forget for which ship, is in fact the Cunarder of similar name) but there's enough to add a few new dates.

:)

Wade Sisson

Apr 13, 2001
Good news - EllisIsland.org now has a new feature that enables you to search by ship name, so you no longer need to know a passenger's name to search for a particular ship. You can dig right in whether it's Olympic or some other ship you want to search.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.