USNS Comfort/USNS Mercy

S

Susan Leighton

Let's hear it for the US Navy...a man survived a shipwreck in the Atlantic ocean and clung to a piece of wood for twenty hours before being spotted by the US Coast Guard. As fate would have it for this man, the USNS Comfort Hospital ship was only 45 miles away and diverted its course and picked up the survivor from the water.
Can you imagine the relief this man felt after treading water for twenty hours...he gets rescued by a big, white ship with a red cross on it filled with medical people...pretty lucky guy.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Way to go USNS Comfort!
grin.gif

S

Susan Leighton

Hey Michael, Good grief...we totally agree...isn't that nice. (I'd put a smiley face in here if I knew how). Thanks Mike!
Susan Y. Leighton

S

Susan Leighton

Hey Michael,
I saw the story on the "Today" show this morning. They actually talked to the survivor and his NAVY doctor via satellite phone hookup. Additionally, I read about it on the MSNBC web site this afternoon. I just did a websearch to see if the story is detailed at any other web news service and came up with very little detail. That's too bad...I would think a story about a survivor of a shipwreck being picked up by a Good Samaritan (namely the US Navy) would be a good news story. I guess that's wishful thinking on my part to think the (mostly) liberal media would give credit to the military...they're too busy interviewing Sean Penn and Barbra Striesand...but there I go again...getting things started...but I think it's a damn (can I say that) good story.
Susan Y. Leighton

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, the media doesn't seem to have much use for the military unless the story is something that'll scare the hell out of everybody who reads it, or put the services in a very bad light...justified or not.

Wih I knew what to tell you on this one, but a happy ending doesn't seem to make good copy. I wonder if they would have preferred it if the poor chap had been wolfed down by a shark at the last second.
eh.gif

BTW, my Mum found something on ABC, but it was something that had to be downloaded and run through Realplayer. I just don't have the time for it.