USS Arizona USS Virginia sinking The Day Of Deceit

Dec 12, 1999
A new movie "Pearl Harbor," is being released soon. The 50th anniversary of this event is approaching, too. We've discussed at length the belief that the Lusitania was set up to happen so that the United States could be compelled into entering WWI. However, the so-called "Day Of Infamy," December 7, 1941, wherein the U.S.S. Arizona and other old battleships were sank by the Japanese military, is now alleged to be a similar set up. Over 3,000 men and civilians were killed in the attack, but it triggered the American people out of isolation and neutrality --and into the war. A new book entitled "Day Of Deceit" was published about nine months ago. The author fought the U.S. government in litigation for something like 15 years, and managed to get one-third of the materials they had classified, that were about the Pearl Harbor attack. His thesis is that the attack was indirectly set up, and that President Roosevelt knew it was coming. Roosevelt purportedly let it happen. I haven't read the book, however-- I've heard it's pretty devastating about Roosevelt. Myself, I wonder if the evacuation of Japanese-Americans from the West Coast was part of the plan, i.e., to get everybody rialed up about the war, and motivated to get revenge ala "Remember Peal Harbor!" What would people think if they knew the whole thing was set up? Purportedly, the author argues that the Arizona and other ships were old battleships. The valuable ships, the aircraft carriers, were moved away from the harbor already.

Some people have remarked, "Well, we had to get into that war." But it wasn't their son that was killed at Pearl Harbor. In my view, President Roosevelt was supposed to be politically astute, he should have negotiated, and dealt effectively with the situation. Like Wilson, if push came to shove, he would have to address the American people straightforward and explain why it's necessary to enter the war. Instead, Roosevelt purportedly used deceit, racial prejudice, and aggravated the American people's baser instincts to get them to sacrifice. Any thoughts, on Pearl Harbor or Lusitania?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
>The 50th anniversary of this event is approaching, too.

Uh, oh...first reincarnation, now time travel. It's been a curious week here, hasn't it?

;-)

MAB

Nov 30, 2000
Ah yes, "Day Of Deciet." Heard of it, and I don't plan on buying it, as I have heard that historians have roundly panned it as the author resorted to (a one, and a two, and a three) SELECTIVE EVIDENCE to make his sensational claim that we deliberately provoked war with Japan seem like solid fact.
I also read one of these rebuttals. Very damming.
Soooo, I think I'll spend my money on a better Pearl Harbor book.

Richard K.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Jan- That book is up there with Colin Simpson's Lusitania and...well....The Ghost of Flight 401 in terms of research and believability. Save your money. However, if you are looking for a well written WW2 (era) book, and can stomach it, I would suggest The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang.

May 3, 2005
Perhaps a bit off topic/off subject but if you would like to read a very detailed report of one person's account of his service during the Korean Conflict, see " A Call To Arms - Interlude In the Military" , by Edmund S. Ions.