Jul 10, 2005
I just thought ya'll might appreciate this. A friend of mine's hubby is in the Navy and just came back from Pearl Harbor. I started to cry!

Respectfully,

Beverly

34705.jpg

K

Karin Kasper

I went there last summer, on my honeymoon. It is very moving. I couldn't help but think of a line from "Titanic" (1997) when I first got out there to the memorial itself and looked down at the ship, visible still just under the surface of the gentle waves:

"Seeing her coming out of the dark, like a ghost ship, still haunts me every time..."

Jeff Young

Mar 18, 2005
To me, one of the sad things is that i was walking through a cemetary a few miles from where I lived, and stumbled across a veterans marker for Oscar Miles who went down on the Arizona. It was kind of hidden, and when I asked my grandfather about him, they were good friends before they joined the military, he said he did not even know they had put the marker up. It seems that no one even knows that this town had a citizen that was on the Arizona.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Navy Newsstand:

USS Arizona Survivors Honor Fallen Shipmates
PEARL HARBOR (NNS) -- Six former crew members of the battleship USS Arizona (BB-39), including five survivors of the Dec. 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, visited the USS Arizona Memorial and the Punchbowl National Cemetery Dec. 2.​
The Sailors visited the historic sites to honor fallen service members as part of the USS Arizona Reunion Association's annual meeting, taking place this year on Oahu.​
More at

Nov 30, 2000
I wrote an editorial about the Arizona which appeared in the December 7th, 2008 edition of the Honolulu Star Bulletin.
The URL is:
http://www.starbulletin.com/editorials/20081207_Dont_let_our_sacred_memories_rust_to_oblivion_with_the_Arizona.html?page=all&c=y

In it I summarize the experiences of one of her survivors. A man whom I knew when I was a boy and was friends with. I also beat the drum for her preservation. And boldly urge the National Park Service to opt to do just that.
The reasons why are all in my article.
In closing, I would like to say that the USS Arizona is the ship closest to my heart. Not even the Titanic's incredible story can match the Arizona's to me.

Remember Pearl Harbor! Keep America alert!
And may God bless all who died there.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Navy Times:

Dec. 7, 1941: A day of infamy remembered
quote:

Sunday marks the 67th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The devastating strike during the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, left more than 2,000 dead. It outraged the American public and ultimately provoked full-scale U.S. involvement in World War II.
For more, including links to archived stories, go to http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/12/marine_pearlharbor_intro_120708w/

Apr 8, 2008
Star Date (?????) I'm starting Banner's 1/350 Scale Arizona and I've been having some trouble in research. All of the books and reference material that I have been able to access seem to indicate Arizona was wearing a paint camouflage called measure 1 (Dark Grey w Light Grey above)but There is no reference to what colors the wooden decks were. During her early years they are polished teak. In the B&W photos taken during the attack they look very dark and hard to see from above (Deck Grey??). I'm also wondering about some of her new anti-aircraft weapons as I have read that some were not mounted. I don't have access to the Stilwell book.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I don't have access to the Stilwell book.<<

Have you tried Amazon.com or...if you don't want to buy it...interlibrary loan? That might help some. You might also try searching for some modelers guides either through a bookseller or a maritime/naval museum if one happens to be close by.

Apr 8, 2008
Hey mike
Finding the book is not the problem! interlibrary might be a possibility. do you know if the book has information on the paint schemes? I know arizona was not done in measure-1 until some time in November 1941.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>do you know if the book has information on the paint schemes?<<

Not offhand. I've leafed through it but never got around to buying a copy. I may have to correct that oversight sometime soon. The Arizona and her sister ship both existed during a time of quite a bit of technological change and even looking at photos on the net, it's amazing to see how they changed over their lifetimes.

Apr 8, 2008
>>A marintime/naval museum if one happens to be close by<< cool, only our closest ocean is over 1000 miles away. Tried e-mai to pearl Harbor park service. no answer!! Any one reading this post can you help? This is one of the few ways I have of researching ship information.

Jan 29, 2001
While on the subject...have you folks seen the mosaic of the Arizona wreck which appeared in the June 2001 NG. Article is entitled "Oil and Honor" in regards to the wreck's, feared enviromental hazard. The mosaic is breathtaking! However it is only from gun turret IV to the fantail of the stern. The magazine damage is startling. On a seperate post we were discussing Arizona & Hood's similar damage.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>While on the subject...have you folks seen the mosaic of the Arizona wreck which appeared in the June 2001 NG.<<

Not to my recollection. I've seen the rendering of the wreck produced by the divers working for the National Park Service. The damage the ship suffered is nothing short of breathtaking, but when the whole bloody magazine goes up, it's about what you would expect.

Apr 8, 2008
>>However it is only from gun turret IV to the fantail of the stern<< Are you talking about the picture on page 92/93? If so the mosaic photos are actually of the remains of the bow to just aft of turret 1. They show just how extensive the damage of the explosion is. The main deck has fallen all the way to the remains of the torpedo blister I think. All of Arizona's remaining 14 inch guns were removed to be used as costal batterys. What is above the water today from fore to aft are the sides of turret2 and turret3's Barrette. Oil is still leaking from just fwd of turret3 it looks like in the photos that I have.

Apr 8, 2008

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
I believe that one of the Arizona's turrets and its guns are still fairly intact and remain underwater on the deck of the ship, right where the hull was gutted by the blast and collapsed downwards onto itself. As Dale pointed out, this section of the ship was completely eviscerated. That is why the foremast and bridge collapsed forward as can be seen in the famous pictures of the ship burning. The explosion literally gutted the forward part of the ship.

Dale, I have the book in question, but can't recall if it describes the different paint schemes or not. While most of the pictures are black and white, there are extensive diagrams of the ship as it appeared at various stages of its life, as well as many photographs that may be useful, and descriptions. I would look on Amazon.com, they sometimes have used copies for a reduced price via one of the bookstores in their network.

All my best,
Tad

Jan 29, 2001
Yes Dale, I stand corrected. Why I was confused?
The preceeding pgs. 90 & 91 depict the bomb strikes, I did not see one on her bow, as well as the arched fore section resemble's a ship's stern. Now, how do you suppose the forpeak suffered such devastation? Possibly fuel oil or gunpowder?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA