Apr 8, 2008
>>Why Was I confused<<
Do you mean That confusion is not a normal state? I'm confused. Anyhow if you have seen the movie of the explosion (You tube)you can see what looks like secondary explosions forward almost to the stern of uss Tennessee. they look like black powder or ammunition though if you look at the schematic showing fuel storage in the NG story it shows gasoline storage near the peak tanks

Apr 8, 2008
In the motion picture sound you hear the main blast followed by sharp crackling noise and then nothing except burning oil. The flames are several hundred feet high.

Apr 8, 2008
Tad thanks for redirecting me to Amazon again. I didn't know that they had used books. I was expecting a cost of over $60.00 and found one for $7.00. Thanks again

Jan 29, 2001
Dale...YES, used books are a somewhat blessing.
While I was recovering in Hospital, my dear Mother brought me "Ghosts of the Abyss" & "Return to the Titanic". Boths books used via Amazon, and in decent collectible shape.

BTW, I have seen the *color* video of the magazine explosion of Arizona.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Apr 8, 2008
>>I have seen the *color* video<<
I've only seen the entire video in B&W but I thought the film was originally shot in color. My dad gave me a copy of a book titled Collier's Photographic History of WWII that was published shortly after the war.There is a color still in the first set of photos in the book. The same page has a shot of USS Missouri still in measure 32? firing her forward 16 inch guns. You can still count the shells. My grandson has the book now. I could try to find out the publication date.

Apr 8, 2008
Mike, The reason I'm confused (beyond normal)is that I have several different references but none are clear on decks. U.S.S. Arizona Ships Data Refers to holy stoned (Teak) and then later refers to deck blue ARRRRRGH!! It also stated that provisions had been made to fit the Quads forward of the 5" AA on the boat deck abeam of turret 2 and on the main deck abeam of the main mast. The fittings were supposed to be in place but no guns were mounted. The kits all have a .50 cal? in this position but I don't think the mounts were there earlier. Of course there are no pre-attack picts of Arizona or Pennsylvaina that show these positions that I have seen. I'm waiting for the Stiwell book and hope it will clear some of the confusion.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm waiting for the Stiwell book and hope it will clear some of the confusion.<<

Hope you let us know what you find. It sounds to me as if they got as far as making the provisions for the 1.1's but never actually got around to fitting them. That's a common enough occurance even with new weapons systems today.

Apr 8, 2008
Hello again, Just got Paul Stillwell's book and you were right. The tubs and mountings were in place but not the 1.1 inch guns. The last American photos that I have seen were probably taken in November 1941. Measure 1 is very visible in attack and aftermath photos. As far as the main and boat decks there have been no mention of camouflage. I think part of my confusion about them was caused by the conflicting directions in the model kits and the fact of how dark they look in the photographs that I have seen (all in B&W).

Apr 8, 2008
Some of the confusion was probably due to the # of different paint schemes authorized by the Navy in 1941: measure 1 in January, Measure 2 in January (painted bow wave)(U. S. S. Nevada), measure 11 in September along with measure 12. Measure 11 has decks in deck blue. Source US Navy camouflage handbook C&R-4 (later renamed SHIPS-2)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The tubs and mountings were in place but not the 1.1 inch guns.<<

I'm not surprised. This was a reletively new weapon at the time and there was more fleet then there were guns available to fit. Had the Arizona survived, they probably would have been installed during the next refit.

One has to wonder if they would have helped anyway. The 1.1 was complex and had teething problems which rendered it unreliable. By the time the bugs were ironed out, the superior 20mm and 40mm were already being introduced.

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Hi Dale, hope you enjoy that book, I think it is the best resource out there regarding the Arizona.

Take care,
Tad

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks Tad
The book has been invaluable with the drawings and photos. The narrative is one of the best I have read regarding a ship.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Times OnLine:

Plans to sell tea set from sunken Pearl Harbor ship USS Arizona spark anger
quote:

The proposed sale of a number of silver items recovered by a diver in the 1940s from the USS Arizona is causing controversy among veterans For an antiques hunter it doesn’t get much better than this: an early 20th-century, silver tea set including a candlestick, pedestal bowl, sauce boat and a teapot salvaged from the officer’s mess of the USS Arizona – one of the ships destroyed by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor.
More at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6913431.ece

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I've read somewhere that a common belief during WWII was that the Arizona exploded because a bomb fell down her funnel. However, we now know from examination of the wreck that the bomb actually penetrated her forward deck and exploded her magazines.

How long exactly was the funnel theory accepted as fact?

It's funny that a widely accepted belief was eventually proven false, like the Titanic's 300 foot gash.

Also, is it true that there's footage of the Arizona exploding? If so, can someone post a link of it?

Tim Aldrich

Jan 26, 2018
Wisconsin
A Navy diver, Edward C. Raymer, wrote a nice book entitled "Descent Into Darkness" and a large portion of the book is about his time working on the refloating of of Pearl Harbor's casualties. They pretty much knew where the fatal bomb had gone off and that the ship was scrap before the end of the war.

Edit: Inserted author's name.