USS Indianapolis

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I've recently seen the 2016 movie USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage starring Nicholas Cage and it shows the Indianapolis sinking in a similar way to the Titanic in James Cameron's film.

The bow plunges under; the stern rises, the ship splits in half; the bow disappears while the stern falls back; the stern rises again and stops at a 90 degree angle before sinking also.

Is this really what the Indianapolis survivors described, or did the movie take a bit of artistic license?

Here is the trailer in which you can see the clips of it sinking in the manner I've described above:

Sep 25, 2004
No. The wreck of Indianapolis, which was found two years ago, is not broken in half. The only part of her hull that is missing is her bow, which was blown off by one of I-58's torpedoes.

Also, while it is true Indianapolis plunged to the bottom bow first, she rolled completely onto her starboard side before finally sinking.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
I wouldn't say she sank like Titanic at all. She went down in approximatley 12 minutes. In that regard more closer to the Lusitania than Titanic. Both her and the Lusitania because of torpedos.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
No. The wreck of Indianapolis, which was found two years ago, is not broken in half. The only part of her hull that is missing is her bow, which was blown off by one of I-58's torpedoes.

Also, while it is true Indianapolis plunged to the bottom bow first, she rolled completely onto her starboard side before finally sinking.
Who found the wreck of the Indianapolis? I remember Bob Ballard stating that he wanted to in the past.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
That mega rich chap from Microsoft, Paul Allen, is usually credited with finding the ship but I somehow doubt whether he stayed up for hours, gulping down coffee with his eyes glued to the sonar screen. His research vessel's crew should really have the credit.

Ballard said a few months ago that he was keen to launch a big expedition to locate the wreck of Amelia Earharts's aircraft. Whether he'll ever actually secure the funding for it is another matter.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
That mega rich chap from Microsoft, Paul Allen, is usually credited with finding the ship but I somehow doubt whether he stayed up for hours, gulping down coffee with his eyes glued to the sonar screen. His research vessel's crew should really have the credit.

Ballard said a few months ago that he was keen to launch a big expedition to locate the wreck of Amelia Earharts's aircraft. Whether he'll ever actually secure the funding for it is another matter.
There are 3 theories about what happened to Amelia Earhart.

1. She crashed in the Pacific.
2. She was captured by the Japanese.
3. She was abducted by aliens.

If 2 and 3 are correct, Ballard's search would be in vain, since her aircraft would've been destroyed by the Japanese to erase all evidence of Earhart or it wouldn't even be on this planet at all if she was abducted by aliens.

Star Trek: Voyager has an excellent episode with Amelia Earhart. In the episode, she was abducted by aliens.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
You can safely rule out 2 and 3. The theories about her being shot down by the Japanese have been thoroughly debunked over the years.

If I recall rightly it's not only a problem of the vastness of the Pacific but there are a couple of differing opinions on where exactly to begin the huge search for her aircraft.

It will be interesting if Ballard goes ahead with this. He will need a ton of money to carry out the search, I don't know if he'll get it.

The RAF transport aircraft last flown by Earhart's English equivalent, Amy Johnson, might be worth someone looking for. Probably easier to find too. It will be off the coast of Kent in South East England.