USS Intrepid

Feb 7, 2005
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It worked but I don't know for how long. Newspaper links tend to self destruct so get to it while it's hot.

I hope they manage to overcome the problems. Happening as it did in front of a crowd of dignitaries, including Senator Clinton, some faces have to be pretty red beneath the mud they have to wipe off. Sooner or later, they'll have to get the ship into drydock to do some of the needed hull work.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Looks like the Navy is going to step in and try to help out with this. From CNN.com:
quote:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Navy is coming to the rescue of one of its mightiest veterans, joining the operation to free the World War II aircraft carrier USS Intrepid from deep Hudson River mud that has blocked efforts to move the ship to a dry dock for renovation, officials announced Saturday.

A fleet of civilian tug boats tried Monday to pull the 27,000-ton ship out of the berth where it has been serving as the popular Intrepid Sea Air & Space Museum, but the carrier moved only a few feet before its 16-foot propellers snagged in the 24-year accumulation of sediment.

Under a new plan of attack, the Navy will provide salvage support at a cost of about $3 million. That includes dredging mud from underneath the ship's stern to free the propellers. The Army Corps of Engineers also will be involved.
For the rest of the story, click on http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/11/uss.intrepid.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Unbelievable is the only response I can put to this debarcle - who was the project manager for this "little" exercise, he would be lucky to get a job scrubbing the decks after the embarassment this has caused...Were divers not sent down to check conditions, clearance levels analysed, core samples done on the surrounding build up of sediment - or did they just think they could drag it through the mud to deeper water. Hopefully now some real thought will be put into this exercise and the ship given the respect it deserves...Sorry to sound as if I am jumping on this attempt but it was obviously very amateurish..

Regards.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, we're not in a position to know all of the facts, Trevor. However, at first blush, I tend to concur with what you said. I guess it never occured to anyone that one day the Interpid would have to be moved for some needed drydocking and hull work. I hope when the dust settles, the lessons are properly learned.

Dec 3, 2005
Wow this is getting ridiculous. $3,000,000 to unwedge it, eh? One penny from everyone in America because of a weak link in a chain, somewhere...it's times like this I'm almost tempted to laugh at these sorts of logistical trainwrecks.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>it's times like this I'm almost tempted to laugh at these sorts of logistical trainwrecks.<<

Almost says it all. The Intrepid is one of the better run and most successful museum efforts. While I doubt this fiasco will break the bank, even with the support the foundation has, I've no doubt it's going to hurt. Anyway you slice it, somebody royally screwed the pooch on this one. Look for a few things to be deferred until they can raise the extra funding to make things happen.

Apr 27, 2005
Entirely different pier, but I've often wondered if small bits of the "Normandie" remain in the mud at the bottom of her pier. If there are, they are no doubt deep in the muck.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Entirely different pier, but I've often wondered if small bits of the "Normandie" remain in the mud at the bottom of her pier. <<

It doesn't strike me as all that likely. The hulk was raised after having a nice sized chunk of the superstructure cut off but the hull itself was intact. There might be something there for all I know but not in any signifigent quantities.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
The New York Times has an article on the Intrepid on its website today. Costs for this renovation are now estmimated at $60 million--and rising. To hear the Times tell it, politicians are falling all over themselves to provide funding to prove that they aren't "anti-military".

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/nyregion/21intrepid.html

(You might need to set up a free login account to view the article)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Day.com:
quote:

New York – The Navy may be ready to move USS Intrepid from its muddy misery early next month, as it enters the final stages of a dredging operation to free the historic aircraft carrier, officials said Tuesday.
Intrepid Foundation officials obtained a monthlong extension on its federal dredging permit Tuesday from the New York State Department of Conservation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, enabling the Navy's dredging work to continue uninterrupted in the Hudson River, according to Bill White, president of Intrepid Museum Foundation.

He said the Navy hoped to finish the task and get Intrepid under way by early December. Crews were working around the clock, he said.
For the rest of the story, go to http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=9d3e90c6-497b-4fdf-a098-4ade55ff5510

Comment: It's not just the ship that needs work, but the pier as well. The problem is that until the ship can be moved, there's not a lot that can be done about it.