USS Maine

Apr 27, 2005
Pictures of the sunken hulk are online. If you dig hard enough you can see the wreckage in it's deep water tomb. Her bow shield is beautifully display here in Bangor, Maine, in a public park.

"Remember the Maine! Who could forget it?"
-Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Feb 14, 2011
As Archibald Gracie was quite the military buff, I suspect the recent raising of the Maine was something that came up in his conversations when he sailed Titanic...

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
You may already know this, Tarn, but one of the Maine's masts and one of its anchors are at Arlington National Cemetery.

--Jim

Jack Devine

Jan 23, 2004
Tarn:
The foremast of the Maine is actually in Annapolis, at the Naval Academy. West Point being the Military Academy and strictly Army, they would probably resist taking any naval artifact. It simply isn't done!

The mainmast is at Arlington, above a tomb for many of the crew.

Apr 27, 2005
Her bow shield, a bronze union jack, has been carefully restored and is displayed in Davenport Park, in the heart of Bangor, Maine. Little plaques, cast from recovered bronze and brass abound in this state

Feb 7, 2005
That's a great site, John! It's amazing how many pieces of the Maine there are scattered about the country, and even outside it. I'm originally from Canton, Ohio, where some of the pieces of the Maine are still located. They used to be all in one area of Waterworks Park, but I see they've moved some to different locations in the city. Canton was the home of William McKinley, president of the United States during the Spanish American War. Hard to believe now, but that brief conflict was referred to at the time by someone in the government (whose name escapes me) as "that splendid little war." McKinley, his wife Ada, and a child are buried in an impressive, domed granite structure in Monument Park, located near the pro football Hall of Fame.

I now live just up the road in suburban Cleveland and there's a piece of the Maine we just happened to stumble across last year while taking a scenic route home that I don't see on the web site list. I can't remember the exact location off hand, but maybe once I locate that information I should send them an email to let them know about it, just in case they don't.

Denise

Feb 7, 2005
I need to make two corrections to my last post. William McKinley's wife's name was Ida, not Ada. Also, the McKinleys had two children (both daughters), and they are entombed with their parents.

My apologies!

[Moderator's Note: Four threads discussing the Maine have been merged to form this one. MAB]

Denise