V Break Theory

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
What you would see happen is that the stern would rise up if the two halves briefly remained connected, because it has buoyant force to resist being pulled down by the bow. This would tend to, however, rapidly finish severing the ship so it would only happen in the brief period of time between the "explosions".
I wonder if the fore part of the stern sort of lifted itself out of the double bottom as the art end settled down. You maybe would hear the explosions, the lights flicker, and the broken ends of the stern and bow both pop up out of the water at the same time for a brief moment.

mitfrc

Jan 3, 2017
New England
I don’t believe so, Kyle. The water would be instantly rushing into the stern, pushing it down by the head, and the air being compressed back into the aft of the stern. If it was watertight, the fore of the stern would rise, but the separation was too catastrophic for that.

Note: I used the word “down” instead of “bow” in one of the sentences of my earlier post, this was an error.

Dec 23, 2017
Take a look at the following document @Tex Mullikin which compiles all the sinking analysis over the past 20+ years into something that you can compare too. There is no way the bow had sufficient air left in it to do anything v esc in movement.