Van der Lind

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Probably either a screamingly obvious question or one that can't be answered.

Reading the correspondence of someone who later sailed on the Titanic, I've come across a c.1905 reference to a New York millionaire named (as far as I can decipher the handwriting) 'Van der Lind', described as 'A queer old fellow'.

Do any of you New Yawkers or Gilded Age officianados know who might fit the bill?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Interesting thought, Ro. It didn't look like Vanderbuilt, and this individual's handwriting is usually quite legible, but I can't rule it out. The letter's writer didn't know he was a millionaire until after they were introduced, so the name doesn't seem to have struck him as a prominant one (whether he was that familiar with the New York's monied set is another question).

Jan 3, 2001
Just a thought Ing. When you posted "as far as I can decipher the handwriting" it popped into mind. I ran a google search and the only
Van der Lind I came up with is a baseball player!

Will keep my eyes open for you!

Rosanne MacIntyre

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Inger,
There is a Van Der Hoef listed on the first class passenger list - could this be the person? Says he was from New York. - Beth

I am sure you must have looked already but since you didn't mention it - I thought I would!
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Ta for looking Beth! The bloke I'm looking for was living in NY around about 1905. But one never knows - it would be rather ironic and quite a coincidence if this man later went on to sail on the Titanic, but stranger things have happened.