Very early Titanic novels

Oct 28, 2004
Hello,

I have been wondering about early fictional accounts of the Titanic disaster, or early Titanic novels if you will.

Two novels about the disaster appeared in Scandinavia within the year 1912 and they are fascinating in that they were written so soon after the disaster, but does anyone know of any other early Titanic novels from anywhere in the world?

Best, Peter Bjorkfors

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Peter, two fiction books, that came to mind are the following:
Prechtl, Robert (pseudonym of Robert Friedlaender). Titanic. 1st American printing. NY: Dutton. March, 1940. hardcover. fiction. isbn: none. scarcity: scarce.
Chipperfield, Joseph E. The Story of a Great Ship: The Birth and Death of the Steamship Titanic. 1st printing. London: Hutchinson. 1956. hardcover. illustrated by Charles King. children’s book. isbn: none. scarcity: very scarce.

I am not sure of any fiction written around 1912.
But, check out Michael Tennaro's web site,
www.titanicbooksite.com and you will find a
comprehensive list , of several non-fiction as
well as fiction that were written. He also,
has many book covers of these books.

Patty Miller

Apr 11, 2001
Amanda /Miranda by Richard Peck (1960's I think)
Courage at Sea by Marguerite Vance 1963 with magnificent illustrations by Lorence F. Bjorklund
and more recently Titanic Crossings by Barbara Williams (1995)
Of course, maybe Danielle Steele's No Greater Love should get a mention!

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
To turn the conversation back to EARLY Titanic novels, I am aware of the following:

French:
Jacquin and Fabre: 'Les Petits Naufragés du Titanic' (1913)

German:
Pelz von Felinau, Josef: Der Untergang der Titanic (ca. 1915)

Danish:
Ravn, Henrik: De smaa skibbrunde fra Titanic (1920)

Swedish:
Grebst, W. A.: Dödsfärden (1912)

Finnish:
Waltala, Esko: Titanicin perikato (1912)

What are the Scandinavian accounts that you had in mind?

Kalman

Nov 12, 2000
Kalman, according to a chapter in The Titanic in Myth and Memory, in 1912, an obscure Swedish author whose name was W. A:son Grebst wrote a novel called Dodsfarden, en romantiserad skildring of Titanic's undergang (The Fatal Voyage. A Romanticised Description of the Sinking of the Titanic).

Within the same year a Finnish author, Esko Waltala plagiarised Grebst's novel, practically word for word, but putting Finns in as the main characters instead of Swedes. This book was called Titanicin perikato, Romantillinen kwaus Titanic-laivan haaksirikosta yolla vasten 15 pawaa huhtikuuta 1912 (The Fatal Voyage. A Romanticised Description of the Sinking of the Titanic.

See the fourth chapter of Bergfelder & Street's book for further details. The author believes they are the first Titanic novels ever written.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

p.s. Apologies for being too lazy to put in all the Scandinavian accent symbols over the appropriate letters!

Oct 28, 2004
Hi Kalman and All,

And thank you for your responses. Grebst and Waltala were the two Nordic accounts I had in mind, but thanks Kalman for pointing out the others. I am the humble author of aforementioned chapter four in "The Titanic in Myth and Memory", and I am thinking of expanding my article to include other fictionalizations done before say 1930. Any future hints in any languages will be appreciated.

Best, Peter

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Peter, With a unique name like yours, you would have thought I would have noticed you were the author of the article in Myth and Memory! lol.

Not sure these are what you are after, as they are about Titanic like disasters, but not about Titanic herself.

One is Gerhardt Hauptmann's Atlantis, 1912. Originally published in German, then in English. It relates sinking of the ocean liner Atlantis in a Titanic-like disaster.

There is also the pulp magazine short story The White Ghost of Disaster by Mayn Clew Garnett, published in May of 1912 in Popular Magazine. It also tells of the loss of a great liner because of a lack of lifeboats.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T