Vessel Measures Record Ocean Swells

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who wonders how even the largest ships can go missing without a trace, read this article:
quote:

A British research team has observed some of the biggest sea swells ever measured. A whole series of giant waves hammered into their ship that were so big, according to computer models used to set safety standards for ships and oil rigs, they shouldn't even exist.
For the rest of the story, go to http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/spiegel/0,1518,408953,00.html

Comment: Some of the photos in the slideshow are pretty sobering. These supposedly impossible 30 metre high waves are out there and they have no mercy!​

Jason D. Tiller

Interesting article and quite the photos there. It reminds me of the high waves that John and I experienced on the Queen Mary 2. You're right, those waves have no mercy.

Thanks for posting the link, Mike.

Don't mention it. We've all heard stories about the Great Liners having some very unpleasant encounters with monster waves. For anyone who thinks they're little more then fishy sea stories, better think again.

And I thought I was having fun out on the Bering Sea with 40 foot waves! Even the largest fishing boats out there are about 350 feet and most are 140 or under; the Great Liners can really stare down their noses. I wouldn't want to meet one of those waves on one of those boats, I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.