Victims buried in Philadelphia

J

Jenn Quaile (Jenn)

are there any victims of the titanic disaster burried in philadelphia if so where?

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Jenn:
Again, try using the search function by typing in Philadelphia in the find box on the home page.
Mike

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Jenn,

The only victim of the Titanic known to be buried in Philadelphia was William C. Dulles, a first-class passenger. Mr. Dulles was buried at the Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia. I recently sent a photograph of the Dulles mausoleum to the ET so Phil Hind should be posting it soon.

The body of Harry Faunthorpe was forwarded to Philadelphia but there is no indication that he was buried in the actual city. Several researchers and myself have tried to locate where he was buried but to no avail.

Three other Titanic victims were buried in Pennsylvania. Austin van Billiard and his eldest son, James, were buried at the Zion Cemetery in Whitemarsh, Pennsylvania, a short distance from Philadelphia. The other victim was Daher Shedid, from Mount Carmel, PA. His body was sent to his relatives, who subsequently, had him interred at the St. Mary's Cemetery. Unfortunately, young Daher's grave was never marked, and to this day, officials at the cemetery have no idea where his remains were buried. Burial records prior to 1918 were destroyed in a church fire.

I hope this information will be of some help to you.

Michael Findlay

Feb 21, 2008
I went to Family Search and typed in Harry Faunthorpe. His death certificate is listed in the Philadelphia Death certificates section and states that he is buried in Mount Peace Cemetery in the city.

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
a friend of mine has a Titanic postcard that looks like it was signed by Harry Faunthorpe and sent to the woman he was traveling on the Titanic with, Ms. Wilkinson. It is postmarked about three weeks following the sinking.
However, most records show a probable identification of Mr. Faunthorpe as a fatality of the Titanic...but looking at how they identified the body makes one wonder since there wasn't much to go on. The postcard shows Harry in Buffalo, NY about three weeks after the Titanic went down. The postcard sent to Ms. Wilkinson, his mistress, was mailed to the Pennsylvania address where she recouperated following the sinking. Does anyone know how thorough the identifications were? Perhaps he had a desire to disappear? Very interesting and quite the conundrum. Money received by survivors a factor for his mistress as the card asks her to "let him know if she got the money".

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
I went on the Mount Peace Cemetery listing of each body buried there and Harry Faunthorpe is not listed as being there.