Violet Jessop

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hello Ashley,

Here is a small part of information about Miss Violet Constance Jessop.

Miss Violet Constance Jessop, was born on 02-10-1887 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She was the eldest and five brothers and sisters. Her family later moved to England. Her father was a sheep farmer. She follow in the steps of her mother who was a stewardess too. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She shared a cabin on Titanic with Elizabeth Leather. She lived at 71 Shirley Road, Bedford Park, London. She left Titanic with lifeboat 16. She was aboard the Olympic when it collide with the Hawke and aboard Brittanic when it was hit by a torpedo. Miss Jessop died in 1971, she was 84.

More information about her can be find in her memoirs: Titanic survivor by John Mactone-Graham and Violet C. Jessop.

Regards,

Hildo

A

Ashley Jean King

HI HILDO THIEL
THANKYOU,
MY TEACHER WANTED A REPORT ON A STREWADRESS SO I CHOSE VIOLET JESSOP.I KNEW THE NAME BUT
IT IS A 36 PAGE REPORT.

ANY ONE KNOW ANYTHING ELSE PLEASE HELP.

ASHLEY

Jan 14, 2001
Does anyone know what was her name? I'm assuming that the baby was a girl, since Mrs.Jessop described a strange incident that happened less than a year before her death:A woman called late at night and asked her name,if she had worked on the Titanic and if she had rescued a baby.When Mrs.Jessop gave a positive answer the woman said:"I was that baby" and hung up.

(from "Titanic Survivor" p.224)

Regards,
Michail

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'll stick my neck out and say that the story is very dodgy. It seems that the only baby in boat 16, in which Jessop escaped, was Thomas Assad. He was looked after by Winnie Trout.

Given Jessop's track record, I give little credence to her. I especially love her snow-capped mountains near Sydney, especially at the time of year revealed by her seaman's record book.

J

jim duncan

who suvived the sinking of the titanic,the lusitania and thier sister ship(i can not remember the name of the third ship)
Can anyone help me out here?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jim, you are possibly thinking of stewardess Violet Jessop, who served on all three of the White Star 'Olympic' Class liners and survived the sinkings of two of them, Titanic and the hospital ship Britannic, on which she served as a nurse. The Lusitania was a Cunard liner, 'sister' only to the Mauretania.

But note what is stated at the top this section of the message board:
"Please don't add questions here unless they are specifically to do with message board administration"

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Good point, Bob, which is why I've now moved this page to the Passenger thread.

We've had other instances recently of people posting threads under the wrong subject header, or of starting new threads on pre-existing topics. While we appreciate the fact that it can take a while to find your way around the ins and outs of posting in a forum such as ET, please do take the time to read the posting rules and familiarise yourself with how the messageboard works. You're more likely to get an answer to or feedback on your posts that way!

R

Rob McGough

Hi I also read Miss Jessop was on the Olympic,
Titanic's sister ship, when it recused British
sailors from a sinking battleship during WW 1.
Yes, I have the thought that if you found out that Miss Jessop was sailing on your ship, you
should disembark right away, or don't let her out of your sight if you sail. Good luck with your report.
Rob McGough

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't think I'd worry about it. Miss Jessop had a long career and one which was for the most part, uneventful. I'm sure you'll find several people who served on all three of the Olympics, lived to tell about it and went on. It's a sad fact of life but when you make a career of the sea, it's not unheard of to find yourself on one or more ships that get into some trouble. Been There Done That myself.

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
Sorry by my ingles. I am of Argentinean and I ask myself if somebody save that went of Miss Joseph when arriving at New York City. Thanks! MAURO

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
Hello! I am of Argentina. Today I saw a documentary one of Violet where they told that she care to children in the dinghy. Somebody save that can be children? Sorry by my ingles.
Mauro

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Mauro! I don't think the child that Violet Jessop looked after has been positively identified, although there have been candidates put forward.

I notice that you are from Argentina - Sixth Officer James Moody visited that country a few times in his earlier career, and was probably more fond of Buenos Aires than anywhere else in South America. One of his brothers lived there for a while.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hello, Mauro, and welcome to ET.

Violet Jessop never married and remained childless. She has no direct descendants. She does however have two nieces in England.

Kyrila

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Violet had no children, but for a brief period of her life she did have a husband. The marriage, it seems, was ill-considered and short-lived. She didn't see fit to mention it in her autobiography.

Frank McElroy

Dec 31, 2003
Bob, I agree, Sorry Kyrila, she was very briefly married to her Ned in the early 1920”￾s and after he died she spent the rest of her life alone,

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
THANKS!!!!!!! by info. It was in knowledge that Violet never married, but that alo better a nephew or a distant relative had left.