Visit Titanic Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
There was an item on Sky News this morning about a competition which is soon to be organised, where the grand prize is a dive to the Titanic. Unfortunately, while some footage of the wreck was included, no mention was made of when the competition will take place, who will be organising it, and what entrants need to do to be in line to win.

However, it is something to keep eyes and ears wide open for! Does anybody know anything more about this?

D

Dan Finch

Has anyone heard about the competition on The History Channel - to win a trip down to the wreck in a MIR sub? What an amazing opportunity!

Visit www.thehistorychannel.co.uk for all the info - its free to enter too!

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
Well, I feel sorry for whoever wins. Being cramped in a small space with other people for 15 hours with no way out whatsoever and no real bathroom seems a bit nausiating. Just my opinion. It would be cool to visit Titanic. If only there were another way.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I think I would quite happly risk the discomfort for a view of the Big T, but I'm not holding my breath. The "complexity" of the competition question (in which year did Titanic sink?) should ensure they get a least a zillion correct answers.

Especially as they give you a choice of three, with the right one right in the middle!

Reactions: 1 user

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Sorry, question is what do you have to do to win. I am retired now and need something to do...LOL

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
So the question you have to answer is 'in what year did the Titanic sink?' You might be surprised how many people will get that wrong. Especially members of the Robin Gardiner fan club, who will think it's a trick question!

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Call this number with your answer. +44 18653 12953 calls cost £2.50 per minute and will last a maximum of 10 minutes please ask the account holder before calling; calls may be monitored to eliminate correct answers.

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
Oops, sorry Bob, didn't see your gag.

I suppose the organisers could make the argument that the Titanic didn't sink at all.

The Tit broke off and sank by itself; then the anic upended and went down too.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Senan, my witticisms are copyright. You'll be hearing from my solicitor.
wink.gif

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
I can hear him now, Bob. He's singing in the bath.

Maybe the correct answer to the question is:

A) 1912, 1953, 1958, 1976, 1997... etc.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yep, too much scope for ambiguity in that question. They need one which leaves no room for argument, like 'What was the name of the other ship seen from the Titanic while it was sinking?'
grin.gif

But to give a fair chance to the Rose and Jack fans throughout the world, perhaps something a bit less challenging is needed, like: 'What was the name of the ship which sinks in James Cameron's film Titanic?' If needed, there could be a really tough tie-breaker question like 'Who directed James Cameron's film Titanic?

Jun 12, 2004
Well, let's not forget the following years, too: 1929/30, 1943, 1966, 1979 (not 1976), 1980, and 1996. Such an answer wouldn't be complete without every year, eh, Senan. ;)

After all, the question doesn't specify only the real Titanic.

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
Gosh, Bob, you are a card... you'll have more moderators crawling over this thread than singing lawyers you could shake a loofah at.

(But your question is an interesting one!)

Meanwhile:

Q. 'What was the name of the ship which sinks in James Cameron's film Titanic?'
A. No ship sinks in the said motion picture.
It is all an illusion created by hydraulics through the use of a large one-side-only prop. Plus the judicious employment of CGI.

I'm surprised you didn't know this Bob...

Q. Who directed James Cameron's film Titanic?
A. The original direction came from Paramount/20th Century Fox that James Cameron's movie be made. They also directed that he hurry up and finish it, as they were experiencing a large leak in the bucket themselves.

Will this do?

Mark Hopkins: you are being too surreal for me.

I can't answer invisible questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.