Voyage On The Great Titanic The Diary Of Margaret Ann Brady

Rachel Lampi

May 5, 2008
Has anyone read this book, a part of the Dear America series? I have read it several times (most of the times were when I was younger) and I always thought it was lacking something. I'm not sure what - maybe more descriptions of the ship? - but I think it's a good read for some of the younger Titanic fans out there.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's not bad for what it is. I recall it as giving quite a good picture of the sinking, as seen by a passenger. As long as its realised it's fiction, it might appeal to readers of about the main character's age. (It's about time I gave my oldest grand-daughter a copy).

Mar 20, 2007
I've flicked through this book on a number of occasions and actually believe it to be one of the best (if not THE best) fictional accounts on the market at present. The background research was evidently thorough and the evocation of time and place is both accurate and convincing. Some of the writing is actually quite powerful - the description of the screams of the drowning, for example. Considering that the 'target reader' would be aged only about eleven or twelve, this is a considerable achievement on the part of the author (whoever he or she might be) and the book puts to shame many works of 'Titanic' fiction aimed at a more adult audience. Highly recommended.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The story is convincing enough for a lot of people to have asked in the Guestbook why Miss Brady's name doesn't appear in the passenger lists! It does contain a lot of factual errors, but these can be forgiven as the book was written for children and it serves its purpose well. One very obvious bit of artistic license is that one of the main characters is a 1st Class bedroom steward who is just 16 years old. In reality that job was reserved for men of maturity and experience and their average age was around 40. But again one can understand that a crew member who is little more than a child himself would be more appealing to very young readers.

Chloe Olive

Feb 22, 2008
It is quite good. There was one person on a website and she wrote about Margaret as if she was real but got ther article mixed up with Titanic 1997 on the way!

Jul 12, 2008
I was 10 when I read this book, and I loved it! I sat on my couch for an entire day reading it, but now that I look at it again a few years later, it isn't as good. It's a nice story, but I don't think it really shows the tragedy of the Titanic.