Wahine Disaster In New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Hi Martin

Thanks for your stuff on the Wahine - very interesting. Just wondering - do you know what ever happened to the Aranui?

Thanks and Regards

Kevin

Nov 13, 2006
Hi Martin

Can you advise if and where I can get a copy of the inquiry into the Wahine sinking?

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Kevin

Raechel Hunt

Mar 23, 2007
I am researching the Wahine Ferry Disaster.
My three focus questions are:
1. What was the backround and cause of the disaster?
2. What happened during the disaster?
3. What were the consequences of the disaster for the people involved?

Have you got any memories or recollections you could share with me?

Have you got any newspaper clippings or articles you could photo copy and send to me?

Do you know any one i could contact and interview about this disaster?

Do you know of anyone in or around dunedin i could meet with and discuss this disaster?

My email address is: [email protected]
My postal address is: Raechel Hunt, 19 Stirling Crescent, Mosgiel, Dunedin.

Thank you
Raechel Hunt

May 27, 2007
Hey I'm doing a research topic on the Wahine and was wondering if you knew of anyone in the Chch area who would be able to help me with stories etc? I have to find a lot of different sources for this topic such as newspapers, survivor stories, internet sites etc. Do you have anything that could help me?
Thanks
Alyssa

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,Kevin

If I am lucky you'll hear from me, the hunt has begun on it.

Hi Alyssa,

If you are in Christchurch you might want to check out Lyttelton. It was the scene of alot of activity over the decades with those ships. I think they have a local museum. This would be a good start. ask around as there may be people who have stories of the time.

cheers

Martin

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
From the New Zealand Herald:

TV Review: Still seeking answers 40 years after ferry tragedy

quote:

Television documentaries that come heralded by promos promising answers to unsolved mysteries so often prove to be windy and overblown affairs.

But last night's re-examination of the Wahine interisland ferry sinking in April 1968 (Inside Story: The Wahine Disaster, TV One, 9.30) navigated its way solidly around the sensationalist reefs on which so many of the lightweights run aground.

For the rest go to, http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10501220

Mar 28, 2002
Evening all,

I met a chap from New Zealand working in Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, yesterday. He is aged about 30 and has never visited the North Island. Worse still, he has never heard of the Wahine. Amazing, I thought. Then again, I shouldn't be so surprised. During my research into the Herald of Free Enterprise, many people I know confused the Zeebrugge disaster with the Marchioness or the Estonia and some had never even heard of it at all.

I was always shocked at how some of my friends made it through each day seemingly completely oblivious to what was happening in the world. I often thought my possibly obsessive interest in historical events was a burden but, nah, I guess I'm just helping to keep the memory alive.

Cheers,

Box

Status
Not open for further replies.