Wallace Hartley's grave vandalized

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I was in Colne visiting Wallace on Sunday (I took my guitar and played him Nearer, My God, To Thee; Working Class Hero and Mr. Tambourine Man - the latter two with the lyrics changed to suit. I hope he has a good sense of humour).
Anyway, as I walked down the hillside to his plot, I noticed that several headstones had been toppled, but thought nothing of it as Blackburn With Darwen Borough Council have been knocking over all headstones that move under the pressure of a hydraulic ram for the past few years, and I thought that Pendle Council might have followed suit.

I got to Walace's grave and saw this. I was gutted.

dsc00076.jpg

dsc00075.jpg

dsc00077.jpg

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
But the model I left on my last visit was still there (with the rudder missing).

dsc00074.jpg

[Moderator's note: This thread, originally posted in another topic has been moved to the one, which is discussing the musicians and renamed. JDT]

Nigel Hampson

Jun 17, 2000
I can confirm that as part of a series of events planned for 2012 to mark the centenary of Titanic's loss, the grave of Wallace Hartley will be restored.
Much of the damage depicted in the images above is actually very old and not vandalism - simply weathering of the marble/frost damage.
The monument is set to be completely cleaned and the lettering which has suffered severe weathering over the last 10 years or so will be fully restored.

Nigel Hampson
Director Titanic In Lancashire Museum &
Member of Titanic 2012 working group.

Alex Clark

Mar 24, 2012
Lancashire
Having visited the grave on 20.9.16, I didn't notice any damage so it may be that the restoration job went well. Unfortunately, the model has gone I'm afraid.

image.jpg

Feb 1, 2018
5KUEciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ.jpg

There is an obvious chip in the top right corner of the "Near My God to Thee" music. I cannot believe the heartless souls who would do this to a Titanic grave but any grave at that.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I’m my personal opinion, a chipped stone is pretty insignificant. I would raise hell, however, if there were deliberate stratches or grafitti tags on it.

Alex Belfield

Apr 26, 2018
I’m my personal opinion, a chipped stone is pretty insignificant. I would raise hell, however, if there were deliberate stratches or grafitti tags on it.
I think if the stone had messages painted on it, or if the stone had been completely destroyed, then Raising hell is a natural response.

Reactions: 1 user