WALTER LORD Stamp Idea

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Shelley, I will send out letters to the three schools Walter attended, as well as a letter to the New York Historical Society.

S

sharon rutman

It just occurred to me -- why stop at a stamp. I'm going to write to New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg to see if Walter's block at East 68th Street off Park Avenue can also be renamed for him. Isn't that a great idea?

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

I'm going to write to New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg to see if Walter's block at East 68th Street off Park Avenue can also be renamed for him. Isn't that a great idea?

That sounds good, Sharon. I hope the City of New York likes the idea.

BTW, are their any tributes to Walter Lord in the City of Baltimore?​

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
This weekend letters will be sent to the Alumni Associations of Gilman School (Baltimore), Princeton University, and Yale Law School.

Secondary proposal letters will be sent to TIS & THS this weekend, as well.

S

sharon rutman

Why not rename the street for Walter. I saw a postage stamp sized snippet in today's NY Post saying that 103rd street (I forgot if it was East or West) was renamed for Humphrey Bogart. So why not do likewise for Walter!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Formal letters were sent to THS & TIS. Also included were letters to Baltimore's Gilman School (primary school), as well as to the Alumni Associations of Princeton University and Yale Law School.

I have also noted, c/o the JFK Library, various other societies for which Walter Lord was either a trustee or officer; will have to obtain their addresses and send letters to them, as well.

I have started a biographical sheet for the Stamp Commitee; will include that with my proposal letter, and copies of tributes, to Walter Lord and his works.

S

sharon rutman

Well, I just got back a short postcard back from the Post Office acknowledging my letter about the Walter lord Commemorative stamp but it's also time to take a reality check. The Post Office is deluged with millions of stamp ideas every day, so the competition for attention is fierce. Basically, the post office told me that this idea is a firm possibility of a definite maybe. No matter how worthy honoring Walter with his own stamp is, I'm not holding my breath that it will become a reality either. Let's just hope for the best.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I need to put my proposal package in order, this weekend; will include many tribute statements and his biography.

I, too, realize that millions of proposals are submitted to the Postal Service (one retailer in Hawaii has been trying for several years to get Hawaiian shirts recognized as stampworthy).
That is why I have suggested people submit their own proposals.

I, too, will believe it when I see a Walter Lord postage stamp in 2012 or later.

Apr 11, 2001
The thing is to keep the heat turned up under the proposal and not lose heart and quit. The more requests and letters which come in, the better over time. Yes, it does take a minimum of 3 years I hear. John, the TIS website is running the proposal under Hot Topics, -maybe other Titanic websites will put up a notice too. Steady bombardment is the key-and from as many fronts as possible.

S

sharon rutman

I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic about a Walter lord commemorative stamp. However it is a little disheartening to receive an itty-bitty index card back in the mail as an acknowledgement for a worthy stamp subject. All we can do is hope for the best and that the powers that be also see it that way.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Shelley, thanks for the announcement on the TIS website. Perhaps a similar appeal will be made by THS, either on-line or in The Commutator.

I have finished my proposal letter, and will mail that out tomorrow. I've included several attachments, as well.

Sharon, I, too, anticipate a similar reply from the Postal Service. However, I hope many others will lobby the Postal Service and the Stamp Advisory Committee.

With luck, we will hear from various sources, should a commemorative stamp be approved (i.e. date of unveiling, dedication, etc).

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I have mailed my proposal letter to the Citizens' Stamp Selection Committee. I included copies of Walter's obituary, tribute articles, readers' reviews of his books (from barnesandnoble.com) and additional biographical data.

I will let everyone know if I hear anything.

In the meantime, I still encourage everyone who would like to do so to prepare their own proposal packages, to send to the Committee.

S

sharon rutman

Johm, I hate to burst the bubble, but your passion is going to be rewarded with an itty bitty index card from them saying they'll think about it. Don't mean to be a constant cynic but we've got an uphill battle ahead of us.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Sharon, I am realistic: the proposal for the stamp will either be accepted or rejected; that I can accept.

I still, though, hope others will send in their letters and statements, especially those people who shared great times with Walter Lord, and who have invaluable data to share.

Hopefully, we will hear, indirectly, if others are asked to participate in the unveiling of a commemorative stamp, as well as whatever steps are taken in designing it (pictures used, artists hired, etc). The year 2012 will be the earliest time we will know for sure our efforts have succeeded.

Shelley, Michael: I don't know how much more TIS can do, as an organization. Mass mailings to members will only create a small response. Still I hope that many of the organizations to which Walter Lord belonged to will also lobby the Postal Service.

We will see.

Apr 11, 2001
I'd like to think the glass is half-full, not half-empty. No good in being a defeatist before the battle begins. The proposal is a sound one, the person being commemorated is worthy and fits the postal service criteria, and thousands of people, world-wide admire Walter Lord, and not only in Titanic circles or for A Night to Remember. Although we are aiming for a United States Postal Service stamp, support from international quarters can not hurt. The fact that it has not been turned down right off the bat is hopeful. I got a letter immediately saying Titanic the ship was not suitable for a stamp because she was British. We will not have that issue with Walter Lord. So, let us not be discouraged at the start, for heaven's sake.

I would again state that enlisting the aid of historical societies, the giants in journalistic reporting and their news clubs, Yale and Princeton, alumni societies, and all the Titanic societies would be a real plus. I will dig out a list of Walter's clubs and societies, he counted many distinguished and influential people among his acquaintances.

John, I think an article for Voyage is a great idea. TIS has worked on several projects with the US Postal Service involving the postal workers on Titanic, John Starr March, a presentation of a memorial plaque in D.C., and their Titanic postal worker exhibit. There is interest. Go for it! Nothing ventured- nothing gained. I have undertaken a project recently to have a rose named for Lillian Asplund, which is just about as daunting an enterprise, but I believe we will have success.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Shelley, I included a listing of Walter's Societies, and the obituaries, plus tributes to him, and a listing of his books. THis way, the Postal Service will have sufficient information on which to base their research work.

Walter Lord was an outstanding American Historian. He may not be listed for Literary Works, but his works are fairly well-known, and I made sure to point out how the Titanic affected the lives of Americans, both directly and indirectly, even noted the fact that the Postal Service was affected by the loss of John March and his two coworkers.

I will have to see if any of the Titanic Societies will be interested in lobbying the Postal Service, themselves. If so I can copy and mail out the materials I sent to the Stamp Selection Committee. Other files I will email to you, Shelley. Those are copies of my WORD Files; many of those files were used for the letters, simply changing recipients' names and addresses and the text of some letters. Internet site links are included in some items, too, for easy reference.
If any additional information comes to me, from any of the individuals or organizations I wrote to, I will be sure and re-write the Postal Service.

I will work assist in any articles, as I also have been making sure to acknowledge those people who have replied to my inquiry. This week I need to write back to one of the historians.

Unfortunately, the one thing I won't be able to do is attend any current Society gatherings in the near future.
The next upcoming THS Convention is during a time when I will either be on, or just completing, Jury Duty (that week was secured as I have had to postpone an August session, because of a CPE session, for work, and a September trip).

It will be great to see a Walter Lord Postage Stamp issued in 2012 or later.

Apr 11, 2001
I have the project on the agenda for the August TIS board of trustees meeting, and I am certain it will receive overwhelming support from the board and members. Most alumni organizations and hobby clubs have either newsletters or websites or both which would run the stamp campaign also.

April 2007 (13-15) will be a multi-society meeting in Halifax, sponsored by BTS, which might be a good occasion to put out a convention packet flyer to the many attendees explaining about the endeavor. It takes a lot of tiny drops to make a deluge. Just read what these big guns have to say about Walter- http://www.usni.org/navalhistory/Articles02/NHbelliveau10.htm

May 1, 2004
When you mentioned 'historian' a thought came to me that Mr. Lord was known for more than just his Titanic books. I remember that he wrote a book about Dunkirk.
I just looked him up in our library's catalogue and found he had written quite a number of books about American military history, including one about the War of 1812 (For some peculiar reason, we in Southern Ontario have a keen interest in that war.
happy.gif
) For America in World War II, he must be as prolific as Shelby Foote or Bruce Catton were about your Civil War.
Perhaps you should stress that as much as the Titanic in your proposal for a commemorative stamp.