WALTER LORD Stamp Idea

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Marilyn, I made sure to submit a list of Walter's works, as well as listings of societies he belonged to.

I mentioned that many of Walter Lord's topics were taken from episodes in American History.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Yesterday, I, too, received the 3*5 card statement from the Postal Service, thanking me for my submission. Along with that was a brochure about how stamps ideas are selected.

It was noted that about 50,000 suggestions are received, every year, about ideas for postage stamps.
However, as Shelley has noted, it was not a flat-out rejection of my idea, so I'm hoping that serious consideration will be given to the idea of the Walter Lord stamp.

If anyone should be concerned that individuals will not like a particular stamp subject, they should note that persons can simply express their dissatisfaction or indifference "by way of their pocketbooks", i.e. they simply don't purchase that particular stamp.
We have all done that, ourselves, at one time or another. I, myself, plan to not purchase the upcoming series of DC Comics Superheroes, or the American Motorcycles, stamps.

I'm not sure how many times will be too many times to try to lobby the Postal Service.

I do encourage everyone to send in their statements and data, to the Stamp Selection Committee.

Shelley: I hope the TIS Trustees will work to lobby the Stamp Selection Committee, and encourage the members to write, as well (I just don't recommend a mass flyer mailed out to everyone; that may be economically infeasible, since you can't how many people will discard those types of things).
We will see if the THS Officers choose to do likewise.

S

sharon rutman

I hate to be the one to say it but I told you so!!! Disheartening isn't it having to compete with Be Kind to Cockroaches day and God knows what else. all that work for a miserable postcard.

Apr 11, 2001
I suspect that the more people who endorse the idea in writing and send their support for the idea, the more likely it is to get the attention of the people who make the decisions. I am also thinking about a petition-like list of supporters which could be submitted as one long document. An ideal place to solicit this type of list might be the BTS Halifax convention in April where to date six societies have sent back positive responses for attendance. I am greatly encouraged, John, by the response you have received- we are still in the running- very much so. This is "ball one" of a nine inning game-with no strike-outs!.

May 12, 2005
"…I hate to be the one to say it but I told you so!!!…"

I doubt that. You enjoy taking potshots and spreading negativity. It’s all you seem to do on this message board. If you don’t want to support John’s idea, then fine, but why keep dogging him?

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi John
Keep up the good work. Sometimes the wheels of progress work exceedingly slow, but when it finally happens, you can look back at all your hard work and smile.
Mike

S

sharon rutman

Sorry I refuse to be naive Randy. I no longer have any starry eyed hopes that a bunch of ignorant bureaucrats who don't read anyhow are going to pay much attention to honoring walter Lord I won't believe it until I actually see a stamp. I still have my little 3 x 5 index card which basically says it's a firm possibility of a definite whatever. what kind of response is that? In the past few years I've come to lower my expectations. I also have a black belt in sarcasm.

Jan 28, 2003
I don't know how your US postage stamp selection works, but it seems to take a long time - 3 years - as indeed one might expect, given so many submissions from the public.

Personally, I see no reason for being anything other than entirely optimistic at this stage. If it takes so long, one could hardly hope for anything else inside a mere month of lobbying except a courteous acknowledgement of one's idea. Which is what people seem to be receiving. Actually, I'm fairly impressed the postcards arrived so quickly, although the authority obviously cannot give any indication of likely success.

If it's going to take years, and much support from various individuals, societies, lobbies etc., I think it's very premature to be expressing any sort of gloomy emotion.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
First off, thanks to everyone for their words of support, for the stamp idea.

My thought was "Oh, well, nothing to get upset about", when the postcard statement, and the brochure came.

What I was impressed by was how quickly the reply came. I mailed my full proposal packeage on July 10th, early afternoon out here in California (the envelope was given to a Postal Clerk, for weighing and shipment). The reply arrived at my parents' home this last Monday, July 17th. This was from the correspondences being sent between Southern California and Arlington, Virginia, on the East Coast.

As far as the selection process goes, I respect that so many ideas come in that it is, obviously, impractical to notify each person who submits an idea whether or not their idea is, or will be, accepted.
At least, though, a flat-out rejection statement was not sent out. Therefore, we should continue our efforts to see this stamp idea become a reality, even as we have to wait until 2012 for it to be issued ("10 Year Rule" for deceased persons).

I submitted separate proposals in the past, to honor other famous Americans, and never received any reply. The persons listed were:
1. Marian Anderson: My letter was sent in 2003; it appears the Postal Service had already considered her, since her stamp was issued in 2005 (not even a "we have already chosen Ms. Anderson" received);
2. Joe DiMaggio: he'll probably be featured in 2008 or 2009; and
3. Charles M. Schulz: he'll probably be included in 2010 or later.

I sent an email statement, when I recommed both Joe DiMaggio and Charles M. Schulz. However, no reply was ever received.

I also got a "thanks for your thoughts" reply when I emailed the Postal Service to recommend that they reissue two of their 2001 stamps, "Peanuts" (Snoopy on the Doghouse) and "We Give Thanks", after the postage rates increased in 2002.
As you can see, those two issues were not reissued for the new rates, unlike the "Happy Birthday", "Greetings From America", "Purple Heart", and "Ronald Reagan" stamps

I also learned that no direct acknowledgement of the stamp approval will be mailed to the senders. Further, I do not know how far in advance the Postal Service invites the honorees who attend the "First Day of Issuance" ceremonies for a stamp issue.

When we know if a stamp is approved when the US Postal Service, at the end of the year, unveils, on their website, the list of upcoming stamp issues for the next year. Even then there are some stamps that are added to the announced issues.

Walter Lord may even show up as one of a series of persons included on a particular issue, as well. We've seen that with past stamps honoring scientists, football players, diplomats, and most recently, baseball sluggers. "Time Will Tell".

S

sharon rutman

Let's not forget that DC comics superheroes also got their own stamps. Personally I won't believe a stamp will be issued to Walter until I'm mailing out the bills with them. It seems to me that, judging from the non-committal postcard response the stamp selection process is very haphazard and a real crapshoot at best. Oh dear, someone might get mad at me for being sooooo negative. Can't have any gloom and doom now can we.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

won't believe a stamp will be issued to Walter until I'm mailing out the bills with them.
Or until we see stamp honoring Walter Lord listed as part of the Postal Service's Commemorative Stamp Program, for 2012 or later.
Walter Lord could be featured on a single stamp issue, where one can buy 20 stamps of Walter, or as part of a series, such as "Famous Historians".

Just because we may find ourselves competing with proposals for stamps featuring Hawaiian shirts, "classic advertising slogans or commercial symbols", "America's National Parks", etc., does not mean we should shrug our shoulders and think "maybe we will, but maybe we won't".

Hopefully our efforts will be rewarded, and if they don't, it won't be for lack of effort.

Shelley, Michael: I will have to make it a point to attend the Halifax gathering, next April. Perhaps there we can try to organize a lobbying campaign, by the US members of our Societies.

Also, in early August, the Steamship Historical Society's Southern California Chapter will be holding a meeting on board the Queen Mary; will have to see what they think of the idea.
A separate letter has been sent to Bill Miller at the South Street Seaport Museum.​

S

sharon rutman

Look here's an idea that might actually work and I found out about it by just idly listening to a radio commercial--click on to www.photostamp.com--you can actually make your own perfectly legal postage stamps! So why wait for a bunch of lazy semi-literate bureaucrats to make a final decision on whether or not Walter gets a stamp. Most of you out there are very handy with a computer--all you have to do is get any of Walter's dustjackets (preferably A Night to Remember), cut out the headshot and voila--instant postage stamps! Sure beats waiting.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

all you have to do is get any of Walter's dustjackets (preferably A Night to Remember), cut out the headshot and voila--instant postage stamps!
Just be careful that you don't use a copyright photo.
Also, I have not noted the costs, so you may need to ask how many stamps you are willing to print out. That plus the costs to make the sheet of 20 stamps at the $0.39 rate, $17.99 for one sheet of stamps valued at $7.80, down to $12.99 per sheet for 100 - 499 sheets.

If you have a private photo of Walter, you can do this, for the 1.1'* 1.1' stamps to be printed.​

S

sharon rutman

Maybe I'm not making myself too clear about the Walter Lord commemorative stamp. It's a fantastic idea and no one deserves a stamp more than Walter Lord. I'm all for it. But the very idea of Walter's ultimate fate as to whether or not he appears on a stamp resting with a bunch of nameless, faceless, bureaucrats makes me cringe.

Anyhow who knows how much stamps will cost in 2012--the price is set to go up next year again. The post office is always whining poverty.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Here is an interesting item I found, on a US Postal Service news item link.
The subject is about the next stamp series to be released here in the United States; that series will be a 20-set image of motorcycles, showing photos of four classic motorcycles, one of which is no longer usable, due to safety regulations.

Anyway, in the article I found the following sentences to be both useful and entertaining:
"...So how did the American Motorcycle stamps come about?

"There's power in using the mail to make your case," said U.S. Postal Service Executive Director of Stamp Services David Failor. "Over the years, we received hundreds of letters requesting motorcycles stamps. We're proud to recognize the role of motorcycles in American culture."

The Postal Service receives suggestions from about 50,000 people every year. Only 20 to 25 subjects make the cut. To narrow down the selection, the Postmaster General's Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee-a cross section of designers, historians and academics-review the suggestions and make recommendations to the Postmaster General for final approval.

Once the American Motorcycles stamps concept got the go-ahead, Postal Service representatives met with the Smithsonian Institution's curator of the Division of Transportation to determine which cycles to depict....".

For the US listmembers who enjoy riding and admiring motorcycles, the motorcycle stamps go on sale next Monday. Sorry, Phil and Moderators, if I appear to be using this site to help our Postal Service.

This also shows that, indeed, there is a benefit to be obtained, if we all put the word in that "We Want WALTER LORD"!!!