Walter Lord

V

Virginia Dearing

Amen! Because of Walter Lord, I have had a life long interest of all aspects of The Titanic. Virginia

Sep 2, 2009
To the best on my recollection the Walter Lord archives and Collection were left to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I have a question. Did Walter Lord suffer from Parkinson's disease in his last years? In a TV documentary he seemed to be unable to totally control his movements.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Steven,
Yes, that is quite true; I've been through a portion of them twice, and believe me they are not as interesting as you would believe!

Dave: yes, I heard that, but can't corroborate it.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi David and Paul-
Despite his Parkinsons. which sadly was apparent in the early 90s, Walter still came to conventions. He had the audience (which included many school children) spellbound at the NY Titanic International convention- 1995 I think. To me, he was unsinkable.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Rather sadly, his signature on his correspondence shows a huge decline between the mid 1950s and the 1990s due to the onset of Parkinson's.

Apr 11, 2001
The last couple of years were a sore trial,to be inhibited in ability to leave his apartment. But this he bore, with great patience, good humor, and courage, displaying, even when completely bedridden at the end, a keen interest in world news, music, and the lives of his many friends and admirers. As was said of Archie Butt, it could be said of Walter, "The world could ill-afford to lose a man such as he."

Feb 9, 2006
I don't know much about the man, but cheers to any historian and writer of his skill. Not to mention he had fine taste in subjects!

I've been meaning to read "The Miracle of Dunkirk" one of these days.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
I seem to remember hearing something about a substantial part of Walter Lord's papers winding up in the hands of Charles Pellegrino. Can anyone clarify?

--Jim

Beth Collins

Sep 17, 2006
Paul, why are the archives uninteresting? Are they complete? I would have thought Mr. Lord would have had quite a few notes regarding his survivor interviews, etc.