Walter Lord

D

dj gulbranson

Hello--Does anyone have any info on Walter Lord before he became an author? I read that he changed professions to become a historian. Thank you so much, dj

G

Gavin Murphy

dj,

I seem to recall reading he was a lawyer...an admirable profession, non?

G

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Here's the brief bio of Lord on the dust jacket of the 56' British edition of "A Night To Remember"

"Walter Lord is a graduate of Princeton University and Yale Law school. He was in England during the war working for the American Intelligence Service. Since then he has held various top-level editorial positions in the United States, and is now an executive with the J. Walter Thompson Company."

Again that was in 1956.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,
Cook

J

Jason Bidwell

According to the author bio on another of his books, "The Past That Would Not Die," Lord was born in Baltimore, where he "received his early schooling," then "in 1939 he was graduated from Princeton University. During World War II he was with the Office of Strategic Services, and he worked in London in 1944 and 1945. He took his law degree at Yale, then did editorial and advertizing work in New York City, where he still lives" as of 1965. As an aside the OSS was the forerunner of the modern CIA, and his senior thesis for Princeton in 1939 was "The Rise and Fall of the Collins Line," according to Alexander Crosby Brown's book "Women and Children Last."

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Ah, Ms Smith.... I've been expecting you.
But this time the advantage is mine.

I could kill you now, but first I will prepare you a drink and rabbit on for a bit longer.
Dry Martini?

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I never drink while I'm packing heat.
proud.gif

E

Elaine R Barnes

Ahhh, could I interupt for a moment?

Does anyone know how Mr. Lord is doing these days? I know a few months ago he was doing very poorly.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.....