Walter Lord's book and the movies "Midway" and "Dunkirk"

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I'd be surprised if the filmmakers of the recent movies Midway (2019) and Dunkirk (2017) didn't read Walter Lord's books Incredible Victory and The Miracle of Dunkirk in the research process. Several scenes in those films are described almost exactly in those books.

I wonder if the cast members also read them.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I read Walter Lord's book on Dunkirk a number of years ago and was impressed at the time.

However, it has been well and truly eclipsed by more recent, up-to-date works such as Hugh Sebag-Montefiore's excellent "Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man" and Sean Longden's "Dunkirk: The Men They Left Behind".

Reactions: 1 user

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
He also wrote Day of Infamy, one of the best books about the Attack on Pearl Harbor. It was published in 1957, so it's possible it could've also been used as reference during the filming of the movies TORA! TORA! TORA! and Pearl Harbor.

The 2019 movie Midway has a great opening sequence showing the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
I've just finished reading the book Pearl Harbor: The Movie and the Moment about the making of the 2001 movie and it includes several quoted passages from Lord's Day of Infamy, so it was indeed used as a reference during the making of that film.