Walter Lord's Collection

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Wouls some of you know what is going to happen with Walters' collection?
If this has been addressed before, sorry for the double thread.
I would dearly love to know what is to become of Lights' whistle or Edith Russels' musical pig, along with all the other artifacts.

Thank you, Don

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Don---

News articles shortly after his death reported that all or most of Lord's collection was left to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. I don't recall any references to specific items, though.

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
Don

On 21 June 2002 I posted a message under the Titanic books/Walter Lord thread that referred to an obituary on WT published in "The (London) Times" on 29 May 2002. Near the end of the obituary on p.30 it it states that "a substantial collection of Titanic memorabilia, including books, photographs and paintings, (are) to be given to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich". I don't know whether this will include the whistle and musical pig of particular interest to you! I hope it will, but it might mean travelling to London in due course for a viewing.

Tony

Apr 11, 2001
Walter's principal caretaker and also his private secretary indicated that the entire collection is going to Greenwich- as that of Bill MacQuitty eventually.

Dec 7, 2000
All,

So would this include all of his passenger correspondance, accounts etc., etc? He obviously has a mountain of passenger information and I was hoping that it would be available to the public.

Regards,

Daniel.

Feb 14, 2011
I understand though Walter Lord's extensive American Civil War collection will be going to an American museum....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

S

sharon rutman

Alas what a pity -- that glorious Titanic collection shipped off to England! that's what happens when you take things for granted for so long--now I'll have to fly to the UK to see the same wonderful collection I used to spend $3.00 in subway carfare to view. I wish we can somehow declare Walter's apartment a national shrine. And oy vay, horror of horrors--someday someone else will take over that magnificent apartment and introduce horrible things like cell phones and computers on E 68th street. It's just too awful to contemplate!!!!! I feel like sitting shiva all over again.

When I found out Walter had died I knew Western Civilization as I knew it was kaput. Dead and buried. The barbarians had broken through and the Vandals and Visgoths are going to ruin the last bastion of Civilization left on the planet-- a modest 5th floor apartment opposite Hunter College in Manhattan's Silk Stocking District.

I think I'd better say Kaddish again.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
The Greenwich National Maritime Museum (Caird Library) is one of my favourite archives in the world - not only are the holdings tremendous, but the staff have been, in my experience, uniformly delightful (unlike some other London archives that shall remain nameless). My only quibble is some of the high charges for document copies, and that I have to make an appointment if I want to get in on a Saturday (easily done). I can't think of a better place to be the recipient of such an important bequest.

Apr 11, 2001
The important footnote here is that Walter selected the repository of his magnificent collection personally, well in advance of his final decline. So convinced was he that this was the only fitting place for it, that Bill MacQuitty agreed to follow suit. What a wonderful thing to have control of what happens to beloved possessions- be prepared in advance and have a plan- a lesson in that for all. I am very grateful he was foresighted enough to guarantee the collection would not be broken up and dispersed, or horror of horrors- given out to relatives and friends or sold off. Good historians always think of conservation and future generations.

S

sharon rutman

Don't misunderstand me--if anyone respects Walter's last wishes,it's me. However I can't help express another impending sense of loss and tell myself that on the bright side at least these wonderful collections will be enjoyed and appreciated by a wider audience. I'll always have pleasant memories--all of Walter's collections were magnificent (not just Titanic, either) because his taste was impeccable, only selecting the finest objects for display. This was a man (I hate referring to Walter in the past tense--it hurts too much) who truly enjoyed surrounding himself with beauty. I'll have to live with my memoriesm, though--schlepping to England is a financial impossibility at least for now.

Aug 10, 2002
Hello all:
A quick update, on July 31, 2004 I sent an e-mail to National Maritime Museum, Greenwich. I asked about Walter Lord's papers, and if and when they might be available to researchers. On Aug. 12, 2004 I received an answer from Kiri Ross-Jones, of the Manuscripts Department. She said that indeed they do hold this collection. "It is not yet available to researchers, as it is still being sorted" However they hope to have it available by then end of Sept. She said she'd let me know when it was done, and I'll pass the information along to you.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Many thanks for that update - I'm planning on popping in there next April, so it's good to know they'll hopefully have it catalogued by then.