Warnings

A

Arnold Rye

I have heard that the Captain received six warnings before the collision. Is this true?

Arnold Rye

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
No. He definitely received two warnings of ice that was more or less on Titanic's course. (From Baltic and Caronia). He also got others about ice nowhere near the course. (La Touraine and Noordam). His replies to these are documented.

Harold Bride claimed to have taken a third warning to the bridge on the evening of April 14th but he could not say who he gave it to. That was sent by Californian and is documented.

Other warnings got to the radio room and did not get to the bridge. They were not addressed to Captain Smith and the operators went by the book and did not take them to him. We know of them from the logs of other ships.

Captain Smith was rather foolhardy but he was not as stupid as he's sometimes painted.

Dec 4, 2000
Let me say "Amen" to Mr. Gittens' remarks about Captain Smtih. I don't have time at the moment to haul out my research, but while writing my book I came to the conclusion that Smith and his officers had a pretty good idea of what lay ahead of the ship that night with regard to ice.

-- David G. Brown

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
It is also important to keep in mind that a warning is just that. A warning. Situations have a bad habit of changing between the time you get the warning till the time you get to the place that was suppose have what ever it is you were warned about.

I don't know how many times I have listened to a weather report and by looking out my window or look at the radar, or barometer I can tell different. Warnings are intended to let a Captain now the conidtions at that time at that place and that the possiblity is there for the same when he arrives.

Erik

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
As Erik says, situations change. The Caronia warning was two days old when Titanic got it, as it was passed on from Athinai. The ice was obviously elsewhere by the time Smith got it. The Baltic warning put ice a bit north of his course. All he was willing to do was to push on and keep a good watch.

J

Janet Mills

I think that any ice warnings that reached any officer was luck in itself. At that time Marconi was in it to make money and quite a novelty. Passengers private messages did just that.Jan BTS