Was a champagne bottle smashed on the bow

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam forber

Mar 8, 2006
hi can any one tell me if titanic did have a wine bottle smashed against her in half of the history books it says she did but in a offical book it says she didnt she was to grand for that

liam forber

Mar 8, 2006
thanx it confused me when i watched a nite remembered and they smashed a wine bottle over her

[Moderator's notes: 1. This thread was in a separate topic, but has been moved here.

2. It has been renamed to better reflect what is being discussed. JDT]

Feb 24, 2004
That christening scene from ANTR seems so RIGHT it's almost bad manners to say that it never happened. But Michael's right, it didn't. What was it one of the Belfast workers said? "They builds her and then they just shoves her in," or something like that?

Roy

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The absence of a christening was a White Star thing. H & W used to arrange any sort of ceremony the customer wanted. I've got a photo of a traditional launch somewhere but it's somebody's copyright.

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
Although it's mere superstition (which I'm not being critical of), some say that it was one of the bad luck things that happened (or didn't happen) to the Titanic.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Although it's mere superstition (which I'm not being critical of), some say that it was one of the bad luck things that happened (or didn't happen) to the Titanic.<<

(((Shrug))) Didn't seem to have such a bad effect on most of their other ships. While White Star certainly had their share of accidents...arguably more then their share...most of them were of the sort of trivial persuit things like small fires, the occasinal grounding, and the odd fender bender more then anything else. The really serious accidents can be traced to human error that had nothing to do with spilling fermented grape juice on the bow.

Still, it's a persistant legend. I'm surprised some scriptwriter hasn't tried to seriously make something of it.

May 27, 2007
Michael >>Still, it's a persistent legend. I'm surprised some scriptwriter hasn't tried to seriously make something of it.<<

Michael-

The only script writer to do so would be the one from ANTR who wrote the scene from where the lady christens the boat. That's the only image I ever saw that had anything to do with the christening of Titanic. Your right, Michael those scriptwriters need to shake the lead out and get on it. Of course Linda C. and I are hoping they will do a TV movie just about the Third Class and their trials and tribulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.