Was Bruce Ismay present on the Bridge?


T

Theodore Moraitis

Guest
We all know that after the collision, Capt. Smith rushed into the bridge of Titanic. Present were the 1st Officer Murdoch, the quartermaster Hitchens and the 6th Officer Moody.
A few moments later, Thomas Andrews entered the bridge and together with Smith went down to have a personal knowledge for the extent of damage. Soon they returned to the bridge where Andrews, after making some calculations, declared to Smith that Titanic was going to sink in a couple of hours. If the above serie of events is correct, my question is :
Is there any evidence that B.Ismay was present in the course of the above events ? If he was present, was he before or after the arrival of Andrews ?
 

George Behe

Member
Dec 11, 1999
1,280
12
313
Theodore Moraitis wrote:

>A few moments later, Thomas Andrews entered the >bridge and together with
>Smith went down to have a personal knowledge for >the extent of damage.
>Soon they returned to the bridge where Andrews, >after making some
>calculations, declared to Smith that Titanic was >going to sink in a
>couple of hours.

Hi, Theodore!

To the best of my knowledge there is no evidence to document the statement that Thomas Andrews came to the bridge to consult with Captain Smith. Instead, Smith seems to have eventually gone below in search of Andrews (although not immediately after the collision.)

All my best,

George
 
T

Theodore Moraitis

Guest
Hi George
Let me tell you how glad I am in seeing that a very known Titanic enthousiast replied my question. The fact remains that Smith most probably learned from Andrews that Titanic was doomed and I trust you agree. But how about Ismay ? Was he present during the two men's meeting ? If my recollection is correct, in W.Lord's movie, Ismay was present. What do you think ?
All my best
Theodore
 

Ben Dover

Member
Jun 13, 2000
10
0
211
I read somewhere that Ismay DID make an appearance on the bridge! Shortly after the accident, he walked onto the bridge in his pajamas and slippers, just like it was shown in 'Titanic' and 'A night to remember'.

I also heard that he discussed the incident with Captain Smith, but it would seem that the conversation is permanently lost to history...
 
T

Theodore Moraitis

Guest
Hi Ben,
I agree with you that the conversation is permanently lost to history. Ismay, in his testimony declared that he was not aware or informed by Capt.Smith that Titanic was going to sink however, if he was present when Andrews informed that she is going down, then Ismay's statement before the American Inquiry was not true. This is what I am trying to learn but it seems that he is the only one who knew what happened.....
 

George Behe

Member
Dec 11, 1999
1,280
12
313
Theodore Moraitis wrote:

>The fact remains that Smith most
>probably learned from Andrews that Titanic was >doomed and I trust you
>agree.

Hi, Theodore!

Thanks very much for your kind words. Yes, I agree with your above statement -- I just think the evidence shows that Smith and Andrews conferred together sometime after Smith instructed the wireless operators to send out the original CQD.

>But how about Ismay ? Was he present during the >two men's meeting?

Not to the best of my knowledge. Smith and Andrews were seen conferring together below decks, but Ismay was apparently not on the scene when Andrews told Smith that the ship was doomed.

>If my recollection is correct, in W.Lord's movie, >Ismay was present. What do you think ?

I think the filmmakers probably included Ismay in the scene for dramatic effect.

Hope this will be helpful. Take care, old chap.

All my best,

George
 

George Behe

Member
Dec 11, 1999
1,280
12
313
Hi, Theodore!

I should probably modify my original statement a bit. I wrote:

>To the best of my knowledge there is no evidence >to document the
>statement that Thomas Andrews came to the bridge >to consult with Captain
>Smith. Instead, Smith seems to have eventually >gone below in search of
>Andrews (although not immediately after the >collision.)

I also wrote:

>Smith and Andrews were seen conferring
>together below decks, but Ismay was apparently >not on the scene when
>Andrews told Smith that the ship was doomed.

After Smith and Andrews conferred together, Smith was seen to ascend the stairway while Andrews continued his inspection below decks. Shortly thereafter Andrews was seen rushing up the stairway toward the upper decks; I've always felt that Andrews was on his way up to tell Captain Smith how much worse the damage was than he originally believed. Although it's quite possible that Andrews was headed for the bridge at this point, there does not seem to be any documentation to prove the point one way or the other.

All my best,

George
 

George Behe

Member
Dec 11, 1999
1,280
12
313
One more modification. I wrote:

> I just think the evidence shows that Smith and >Andrews conferred
>together sometime after Smith instructed the >wireless operators to send
>out the original CQD.

That should read "*shortly before* Smith instructed the wireless operators to send out the original CQD."

(That's what happens when I hurry.) :)

All my best,

George
 
E

Elaine Barnes

Guest
Hello everyone,
I read somewhere that Andrews did not even feel the bump with the iceberg. How soon after, and how did he find out that something had happened? Did he go to investigate, or did a steward come to his cabin?
Sincerely,
Elaine and Emily
 
T

Theodore Moraitis

Guest
Thank you so much Ceorge for your efforts and time spent.
I have no reasons to doubt your advice that "shortly before" Smith instructed the wireless operators to send the CQD, Ismay discussed with Andrews. Certainly he was told that his ship was going to sink. Therefore, Ismay's testimony was not correct and his statement that he was never informed by anyone that Titanic was sinking, was made on purpose.
I'm presently making a study for Ismay and Capt Smith and your help sofar is much appreciated.
All my best
Theodore
 
T

Theodore Moraitis

Guest
To Elaine and Emily
Andrews knew the Titanic more than anyone else so Capt Smith thought he was the best one to consult as far as the extent of damage was concerned.
Obviously, he sent a steward to Andrew's cabin to
ask him to go up to the bridge immediately.
 
E

Elaine Barnes

Guest
Theodore,
It occured to me too, that Andrews may have investigated on his own when the engines stopped!
Thanks for your input.
Elaine
 
F

Florian B. Millare

Guest
hello everyone,

im new here so hope this info from a book would help.

it reads:

"After he(referring to Andrews) and Smith had inspected the forward compartments, they returned to the bridge. there andrews informed the captain, in company with White Star's Managing Director Bruce Ismay, that there was not the remotest chance that the ship could remain afloat"

hopefully this would help. if not hope it would clear out something.

thnx
 
Apr 7, 2001
1,052
6
233
Dear Theodore Moraitis,

You asked the question, was Bruce Ismay present before or after the arrival of Andrews?

You can find the answer to this question in Bill Barnes book entitled, "Thomas Andrews, Voyage Into History. Titanic secrets revealed through the eyes of her builder." It is written on page 127 of his book.

From Teri Milch
http://www.bruceismay.com
 
Mar 10, 1998
1,128
6
313
The above response is an example of why I have an aversion to the reincarnation threads. Note that it is stated that "you can find the answer"--without any disclaimer identifying that the supposed answer flows from the supposed knowledge of someone supposedly reincarnated from Thomas Andrews.
 
Apr 7, 2001
1,052
6
233
Philip,

Are you looking for a disclaimer from me regarding the validity of Bill Barnes reincarnated from Thomas Andrews?

Bill Barnes has been reincarnated from Thomas Andrews. We have shared memories and can confirm one another's stories.

All I wanted to do was point out to Theodore that he can find the answer to his question in a book written by Bill Barnes reincarnated from Thomas Andrews.

My intention is to leave you with truth, not falsities. Please inform me if I have not done this.

Teri
http://www.bruceismay.com
 
Apr 7, 2001
1,052
6
233
Okay Philip, maybe I am not understanding your question too well. Tell me exactly what you need from me and I'll do my best to assist.

Let me ask by first asking you, do you believe in reincarnation? If so, great. If not, then I respect your opinion on that. My intention here is not to make you a believer of my story or any other reincarnation story. I speak only of truth, and some believe, great!! If not, I wish them well, honestly.

You will never hear bad intentions from me regarding Titanic, for I take my Titanic life quite seriously.

Please ask me once again exactly what you are looking for from me and I will do my best to oblige.

Sincerely Yours,

Teri
http://www.bruceismay.com
 
Mar 10, 1998
1,128
6
313
Actually I need nothing from you and have no questions for you. I do my own research independent of other Titanic researchers and base my findings on impirical evidence based in reality. My concern is that others who ask honest questions on this forum receive answers from people like yourself who respond with answers "from within" as you say in another thread--rather than from impirical evidence based in reality. The people that ask those serious questions deserve better. It appears that you and Barnes and other "reincarnationists" like to say, symbolically, that 1+1 just might=3. And if we don't agree with you then we're wrong not to have an open mind about it. But myself and most others who are involved in serious Titanic (and other types of) research understand that 1+1=2 and we build on that base rather than "keeping an open mind" about it. If you go to a doctor in need of some serious type of surgery, would you want him to perform that surgery based on what he had learned from reality based study--or would you want to go under the knife with a doctor who decided to operate on you based on some "knowledge from within" that was based on his supposed previous life? The examples are different but the principle is the same.

My final contribution to the thread and subject for the April round-(knowing full well that we may see another in May :).

PG
 
Apr 7, 2001
1,052
6
233
Dear Philip,

Your letter above was VERY nice, thank you.

Your response made me quite happy, and I am in full agreement with you that those who post honest questions here deserve honest answers based on answers from within, rather than from empirical evidence or hypothetical observation.

I will never make anyone "wrong" for not agreeing with me in reincarnation or any other subject. My personal belief is that everyone has a right to their own beliefs, I respect that and I sincerely apologize if I came across to you sounding like I was making you wrong. That was not my intention here at all.

The intention with my site is to tell my story from first-hand accounts, not second-hand accounts or any other accounts, and in which all peoples of the world should have. Those that find my story disbelievable, that is okay. I will then thank them for the time they spent reading my site. The site, by the way, is owned by me, and all of Bruce's personal stories and diaries are written by me and not some "writer" I might have hired.

NOTE: I do not speak for Mr. Bill Barnes and his views on reincarnation or his making people wrong. I only speak of my own views on the subject matter of reincarnation.

Sincerely Yours,

Teri
http://www.bruceismay.com


P.S. Again Philip, thank you for the nice letter posting. I appreciate it.
 

Similar threads

Similar threads