Was Ismay really a villain?

Nov 14, 2005
I watched the 2 part video on the Titanic Channel about Ismay. It was very interesting. Although the optics of him getting in the lifeboat were pretty bad if what was presented in this mini doc are accurate then I think Ismay might have been unfairly judged by history. If true what was in this then it blows out the water a lot of what people believe Ismay said and did.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I think a lot of people were/are too hard on Ismay. People like to talk about the many heroic things they would do, but until you’re in that situation, you wouldn’t know what you would do.

A

Aaron_2016

I recall reports which said that Ismay was delirious or hysterical and blamed himself and he felt he should not have survived when so many women and children were lost, and Lightoller had to talk sense into him while the Carpathia's doctor had to sedate him. Did he genuinely believe the disaster was his fault or that he was partly to blame, or was he suffering from shock? The Carpathia steamed through heavy fog and a storm. Perhaps the perilous journey to New York coupled with the repeated blast of the fog horn was more than enough to send Ismay into a panic and require sedation. Perhaps he refused to be confined to his cabin because he felt morally responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the survivors because in his eyes they were still paying passengers travelling to New York and the crew felt he was becoming a hindrance to their duties as they tried to assist the survivors and their own passengers. Then again maybe Ismay did not want to remain boxed inside a comfortable room with the familiar sounds of hundreds of feet shuffling outside his door, and he stormed out in a panic as he still thought he was on the Titanic.

Was there a legitimate reason why he was sedated on the Carpathia and why he told Lightoller that he felt guilty about the disaster, or did he simply feel guilty for surviving?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I don’t think it’s a question that a number of survivors felt guilty for surviving. Ismay was an example of people finding someone to blame. He unfortunately fit the shoe. Rich, a man, survived, etc...