Was Jack Thayer at the Wideners' Dinner Party

Oct 4, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
I'm trying to figure out whether Jack Thayer attended the Wideners' dinner party with his parents on the night of the 14th. I know that the Carters' children were considered too young to attend, and probably had dinner in their stateroom that night. But it is conceivable that at 17, Jack might have been considered enough of an adult to merit an invitation.

Some sources place him at the Wideners' table with his parents that night. Others say that he dined separately with his friend Milton Long. Based on Jack's own account, he at least had after-dinner coffee with Long that evening, but I can't find anything definite about where he had dinner, or with whom.

Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Patrick - have you read the letter Jack wrote to Long's parents? I haven't in a while, but I'm pretty sure he comes out and says he dined alone. He then met Long while waiting for the music to begin (I forget which room this was). Long was at the next table and asked for one of the matches on Jack's. He then asked for another, when Jack told him to take them all as he didn't smoke. Finally, Jack pulled his chair up to Milton's table and asked to join him.

Oct 4, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
I spoke too soon! I found a transcript of the letter here:

In the letter, he writes:

"I was sitting in the room outside the main dining saloon, waiting for the music to begin. I had dined alone and was sitting alone, my father and mother having been invited out to dine in the restaurant."

You are absolutely right. He dined alone. Someone should adjust the information on the page for his father, John B. Thayer. There, it incorrectly states that Jack joined his parents for dinner.