Was sending passengers to the gangway a realistic option?

Rob Ficiur

Jan 1, 2019
Bow Island Alberta Canada
My research has led to more confusion. This one fact i think i know. The sixteen lifeboats were on the boat deck.

1. Why were some passengers told to go to A deck? Where is this in relation to the Boat deck where loading took place?

2a. Some passengers were sent to the Gangway - where the unfilled boats would load more passengers. Was a specific gangway specified when passengers were sent there? (I now understand there several of these gangways)

2b) Was the gangway a realistic option for loading passengers?

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
My research has led to more confusion. This one fact i think i know. The sixteen lifeboats were on the boat deck.

1. Why were some passengers told to go to A deck? Where is this in relation to the Boat deck where loading took place?

2a. Some passengers were sent to the Gangway - where the unfilled boats would load more passengers. Was a specific gangway specified when passengers were sent there? (I now understand there several of these gangways)

2b) Was the gangway a realistic option for loading passengers?
Hello Rob.
You can see the decks in the following.
answer for Rob.jpg

Don't remember if a gangway door was specified, but the order to open was given by Lightoller, very early in the proceedings when the boats were being swung out and lowered to embarkation positions. Then, it was a perfectly good idea.

Reactions: 1 user