Was the aft section of the forecastle deck open to passengers?

RileyGardner17

Riley Gardner
Jan 14, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Hey all, this question has been driving me insane and I am struggling finding sources. General knowledge has led us to believe no passengers were allowed on the forecastle deck, right? Yet there is a NOTICE sign on the wave break that I'm having some trouble figuring out. Does anyone know what it says?

There's two options I've come across that I've seen used:

"NOTICE: NO PASSENGERS ALLOWED ON THIS DECK"
or
"NOTICE: NO PASSENGERS BEYOND THIS POINT"

If the second option, does that mean steerage passengers could climb the ladder up onto the forecastle so long as they stayed behind the signage? If the first option, why not a sign on the railing over the forward well deck to warn passengers beforehand?

For reference with the Father Browne photograph, I'm referring to the plate in the upper right hand corner:

vintage-titanic-before-its-sinking-in-1912-05.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hey all, this question has been driving me insane and I am struggling finding sources. General knowledge has led us to believe no passengers were allowed on the forecastle deck, right? Yet there is a NOTICE sign on the wave break that I'm having some trouble figuring out. Does anyone know what it says?

There's two options I've come across that I've seen used:

"NOTICE: NO PASSENGERS ALLOWED ON THIS DECK"
or
"NOTICE: NO PASSENGERS BEYOND THIS POINT"

If the second option, does that mean steerage passengers could climb the ladder up onto the forecastle so long as they stayed behind the signage? If the first option, why not a sign on the railing over the forward well deck to warn passengers beforehand?

For reference with the Father Browne photograph, I'm referring to the plate in the upper right hand corner:

View attachment 50039
Yes it was. The Aft Well Deck and the Poop Deck were open to Third Class. There were multiple benches on the Poop Deck:
1601566202033.png

It (the Poop Deck) was labelled as the "3RD CLASS PROMENADE", as I circled. Hope this helps!

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks, but I'm actually referring to the forward well deck and forecastle, at the bow.
The Forward Well Deck allows people, but the Forecastle does not allow people on there. the sign on the breakwater:
1601578543057.png

This was what the sign looked like:
NOTICE.PNG

There were dangers, like if the passengers leaned on the portable rails, they'd fall in the ocean. they could injure themselves on the machinery.

B

Bob_Read

Cam Houseman wrote: “The Forward Well Deck allows people, but the Forecastle does not allow people on there.“
This statement is incorrect. Passengers were allowed on the forecastle deck but they were not allowed to go forward of the breakwater.