Was there ever Titanic drama made for radio

Feb 14, 2011
In the age of radio, the CBS theatre and other radio stories elevated the imagination to levels TV can never hope to reach...
Im left to wonder, over the years there have been various Titanic lps and documentaries for audio..But has there ever been a radio drama of the Titaic story?

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Tarn,

The first time I heard of the Titanic was as a short story in a radio series called: Their Finest Hour.

From memory it was not too before Walter Lord's ANTR was published.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I have read that back in the 1920s the BBC in London commissioned a radio play, to be called 'Titanic' and written by Filson Young, known to us as the author of a rare 1912 book on the sinking. Apparently there were so many protests that the production (if ever completed) was abandoned. The protests began even before the script had been written, and I believe the proposed content didn't include the sinking and perhaps not even the voyage. Does anybody know anything more about this production?

G

Gavin Murphy

........that was also something on BBC Radio 4 last year called the Titanic Inquiry and it examined the Mersey BofT invest. 2 90-minute segments. Good, etc.

G