Washington DC Titanic sites

B

Brian Hawley

Next week I am off for spring break in the capital city. I am going to look for the DC Titanic memorial, and George Vanderbilt's home in the city. Does anyone have any suggestions about other ship or Titanic related things to do?

Brian

Dec 4, 2000
Check out the American History museum, downstairs in the nautical section. You will find a lifevest from the Titanic among many other fascinating items.

-- David G. Brown

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The Women's Titanic Memorial stands on the bank of the Potomac. I believe the place is called East Park. Any guide book will show it.

The last information I had was that areas of the Senate building associated with Senator Smith and his inquiry are still closed for security reasons. Check when you get there. The inquiry began in the caucus room of the then new Senate Office Building and moved to the Committee on Territories Conference Room.

Senator Smith's home still stands but I'll have to dig for the address.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Senator Smith's home is at 1100 16th Street NW. It's used by an arts organisation.

Another place to see is the US Postal Museum, where the postal workers are commemorated.

Apr 11, 2001
There is a plaque at the Episcopal National Cathedral for Archie Butt- seems to me it is tucked in the area of the gift shop on the left as you walk in- I will pull out the photos of all this tonight. Gracie's DC house is worth a look too.The Titanic memorial is spectacular- done by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney with the face on the figure inspired by Alfred, who was lost on Lusitania. The studies for the sculpture can be seen in Gertrude's bedroom in the family mansion in Newport- will try to dig up those pictures tonight.

Apr 11, 2001
Brian- how did Spring break go and what did you see? Found the photo at last of the Women's Titanic Memorial.
11503.jpg

Dec 2, 2000
Dear Brian, sorry that I was away and did not see your post earlier, but for others who wish to know some things about DC Titanic, here are my two cents worth.

The Inquiry took place (as David Gittins mentioned above) in the Senate buildings, the Library of Congress is where many no doubt did their research for the hearings, the Limited Liability cases went up to as high as the Supreme Court, and folks traveled by way of the train from New York to Union Station and that is where they would have embarked and disembarked. These are all within walking distance of the U.S. Capitol Building. (Folks with any medical disabilities may want to stretch these visits out if walking or standing is a problem.)

And right next door to the Union Station is the Postal Museum home of a Titanic Exhibition which some on this board helped to put together and is quite nice. There is no fee for the exhibit. I would check on access to the official buildings due to several things here in DC. Park at the Union Station or take the Metro train.

Going down towards 16th and Pennsylvania NW, we have of course the White House and just a few steps down the street, a small little house as Dave said which is located at 1100 16th Street, which is on the same side of the street as the National Geographic Society Library. (Wonder if Smith did any research on ice and icebergs there?)

And right near the White House is also the Williard Hotel where Ismay stayed.

Heading down to 9th street and towards the waterfront to Maine Avenue, you make a left and head towards where the floating dining ships like the Dandy are and find a parking place. It can be a walk so again for those with any difficulties walking just take your time, cause just down the sidewalk is a little rest area with park benches and cyclists often ride their bikes there and that is where the Memorial is that Shelley has posted above. It is huge and the view is wonderful. It is however not as well noted as Gittins has indicated and even the Park person and Harbour personnel I questioned was sure there was a memorial down the way but was unsure of its exact dedication was or its name and not many tour places have it marked either. Sad but true. If P Street were able to be projected out towards the water, the memorial is about there if you look at a map.

Also, coming back towards Pennsylvania on 7th street is the Archives where history is stored. US passenger Census, birth, death and other things are stored there.

Many of the government buildings have special touring hours. Check them out and make sure you ask for the season you need as Summer and Winter schedules are often different.

The White House Tours generally are like Tuesdays through Saturday or something like that, but check out where the free tickets (passes) are given to you as it changes at times. But you must stand in line for the tickets at like 7am at a place on Pennsylvania Ave..think it is 14th and Penn, but check first. Get the pass for an indicated time slot (something like 10:00am). Come back to the White House and line up at your indicated time.

You must have a special research identification to access books in the Library of Congress, but you can tour it and it is beautiful.

But there is a much maligned library I think it is at like 10th and G streets called the Martin Luther King Library. But it has a tremendous collection of the Evening Star Newspapers and is an excellent library.

Also the Washington Evening Star Building is located at 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Also, if you are in the area for a bit, some "closeby areas" to think about are Baltimore and Newport News Virginia. Newport News has the Maritime Museum. And Baltimore simply has my heart and a few survivor histories although I do not know those histories as well as I should. Phil Gowan would know that stuff.

The Science Museum has the Titanic Exhibit but it is on tour right now and do not know when it will return.

Tracey McIntire and I have been working together to put some ideas toegther to make a tour book of such things as people come and do not know where to look.

The Historical Society is also a great place to check out things.

Hope this helps someone and I am so sorry that I had not posted something like this before.

Maureen.

Dec 2, 2000
A correction to one of the above posts.

Senator Smith's home was located at 1100 L Street NW it is not located at the 16th Street address. That was my mistake from driving around DC. Sorry about that.

Maureen.