Watched A Night To Remember for the first time last night.

linsChaho

Aug 16, 2021
New York
Always been Titanic obsessed, but never gave this film a shot due to not really being into B&W older films, but this one got me. Kept me entertained the entire time, and I just cannot get the image of the old man holding that little boy as they went down with the ship out of my mind. Wow.. For the 50's era, they did a great job capturing the entire atmosphere of it all...and more importantly capturing the fear itself. I won't forget this film. Lots of things that happened in it, seem to have been paid homage to in Cameron's adaptation. Anyone else blown away by the fear they instilled in the last hour of this? Cheers guys...

Reactions: 6 users

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
I attended TitanicCon21 last weekend.
We rented out the Forge Cinema and watched it on the Big Screen.

In 1968 at age 8, I watched this film with my Dad, the first time that it was televised.
The scene of the elderly steward with the little boy, pierced my heart.
When I got in bed that night I cried and cried for those two.
That film stayed with me for weeks.
It hooked me on the Titanic story, thanks to my Dad who was a historian.
Dad instilled history in me,and we spent many hours discussing Titanic.
Seeing, A Night To Remember, on the big screen was a real thrill for me, and I felt like Dad was there with me, watching.
Best Titanic film in my opinion, for all of the reasons that you give, and then some!

Reactions: 8 users

IcySofter

Nov 2, 2020
I have this film in Blu-ray sitting atop my player (I have an everything ocean decor in the main part of my house so it fits) awant to watch it again soon. I"ve seen it through twice now in the last 6 years and I too have to say I was so impressed watching it. After seeing Cameron's Titanic I doubted I would find a thing to like about it. And I'm not so fond of black and white either not having a colored tv until I was in my twenties. I always have loved the zest of Thelma Ritter so I was pleased to see another movie she had been in.

On a strange note I watched a movie on old b.w tv about an ocean liner that had gone down and they were pulling people onto the lifeboats until they got too full and then they had to drop dead people overboard and then not let others on board. Very Hitchcock-esque. I was only about 7. I don't know what the name of the movie was but it scared the life out of me when they got "rescued" by another liner and it was all the people who had died welcoming them. Quite sure it fueled my interest in the Titanic once I learned about it.

In that same living room my siblings and I played shark by jumping from couch to chair to chair and we threw socks on the floor for islands. If we stepped on the flooring we were out, killed by a shark.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
I have this film in Blu-ray sitting atop my player (I have an everything ocean decor in the main part of my house so it fits) awant to watch it again soon. I"ve seen it through twice now in the last 6 years and I too have to say I was so impressed watching it. After seeing Cameron's Titanic I doubted I would find a thing to like about it. And I'm not so fond of black and white either not having a colored tv until I was in my twenties. I always have loved the zest of Thelma Ritter so I was pleased to see another movie she had been in.

On a strange note I watched a movie on old b.w tv about an ocean liner that had gone down and they were pulling people onto the lifeboats until they got too full and then they had to drop dead people overboard and then not let others on board. Very Hitchcock-esque. I was only about 7. I don't know what the name of the movie was but it scared the life out of me when they got "rescued" by another liner and it was all the people who had died welcoming them. Quite sure it fueled my interest in the Titanic once I learned about it.

In that same living room my siblings and I played shark by jumping from couch to chair to chair and we threw socks on the floor for islands. If we stepped on the flooring we were out, killed by a shark.
Might have been the "Abandon Ship" movie from 1957. Most movie buffs know about Hitchcocks "Lifeboat" movie from 1944 but there are a few other movies dealing with lifeboats. Some of the best movies ever made were in B&W but a lot of people nowadays won't watch them. Cheers. Abandon Ship (1957) aka Seven Waves Away – Tyrone Power Commands This Lifeboat Lifeboat (1944) - IMDb

IcySofter

Nov 2, 2020
Might have been the "Abandon Ship" movie from 1957. Most movie buffs know about Hitchcocks "Lifeboat" movie from 1944 but there are a few other movies dealing with lifeboats. Some of the best movies ever made were in B&W but a lot of people nowadays won't watch them. Cheers. Abandon Ship (1957) aka Seven Waves Away – Tyrone Power Commands This Lifeboat Lifeboat (1944) - IMDb
I figured someone would comment and know something about this movie. Thank you. I'm not a movie buff by any means, but learn a bit here and there. I own a few Titanic movies, and also one documentary.

Nov 14, 2005
I figured someone would comment and know something about this movie. Thank you. I'm not a movie buff by any means, but learn a bit here and there. I own a few Titanic movies, and also one documentary.
Your Welcome. If you ever want to watch it again you can at the link below. Trivia...it was loosely based on a real incident that happen with a ship in 1841. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Wow, I hope you liked it! I watched it myself for the first time last winter, I was surprised by how much I actually liked it! Its interesting to see it based entirely on fact and the set design was STUNNING.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Wow, I hope you liked it! I watched it myself for the first time last winter, I was surprised by how much I actually liked it! Its interesting to see it based entirely on fact and the set design was STUNNING.
I can't say it was entirely similar to the shipwreck it was based on but the gist of the story was similar. As in not enough room for everybody so hard choices had to be made. In the real story and the fictional one both were later charged for their actions. Miscarriage of justice in my opinion.

linsChaho

Aug 16, 2021
New York
Always been Titanic obsessed, but never gave this film a shot due to not really being into B&W older films, but this one got me. Kept me entertained the entire time, and I just cannot get the image of the old man holding that little https://19216801.onl/ boy as they went down with the ship out of my mind. Wow.. For the 50's era, they did a great job capturing the entire atmosphere of it all...and more importantly capturing the fear itself. I won't forget this film. Lots of things that happened in it, seem to have been paid homage to in Cameron's adaptation. Anyone else blown away by the fear they instilled in the last hour of this? Cheers guys...
issue got solved!!

IcySofter

Nov 2, 2020
Your Welcome. If you ever want to watch it again you can at the link below. Trivia...it was loosely based on a real incident that happen with a ship in 1841. Cheers.
Thank you. I will get to watching this as soon as I can and invite my hubby to watch with me. I know it will freak him out.

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
Always been Titanic obsessed, but never gave this film a shot due to not really being into B&W older films, but this one got me. Kept me entertained the entire time, and I just cannot get the image of the old man holding that little boy as they went down with the ship out of my mind. Wow.. For the 50's era, they did a great job capturing the entire atmosphere of it all...and more importantly capturing the fear itself. I won't forget this film. Lots of things that happened in it, seem to have been paid homage to in Cameron's adaptation. Anyone else blown away by the fear they instilled in the last hour of this? Cheers guys...
Another good documentary to watch on U tube is "making a night to remember " its brilliant.

IcySofter

Nov 2, 2020
Another good documentary to watch on U tube is "making a night to remember " its brilliant.
Never knew there was a "making a night to remember" I didn't know they would have documented it back then. Something else fun to add to my growing list.

Stephen Carey

Apr 25, 2016
Philippines
My mother took me to see ANTR in 1958, and it gave me a lifelong interest in the ship and, later, her two sisters who were generally unknown at the time.
After the Cameron film I revisited it, expecting the special effects to be a bit Mickey Mouse after so many years.
Not a bit of it however! It gripped me in the same way as it had all those years ago when I was 12... Watched it again a few weeks ago.

Nov 14, 2005
Never heard of this movie. Thanks for the tip!
Your Welcome. It's a good movie in my opinion. Been years since I watched it last. Might need to give it another go myself when I got a few hours to spare. Tyrone Power made some good movies back in the day. This was one of his last ones as he went way too young. Cheers.

RedFlame0627

Sep 13, 2021
North Augusta, SC
Same here man. Sometimes i have dreams of being on the ship as it was sinking. I remeber one dream i was leaning over the railing of the ship looking at my wife, who was pregnant. I beleive i was John Jacob Astor IV!
Love the movie. I honestly perfer it than Cameron's Movie. I liked how they added the Califonian, which was something Cameron's film didn't pick up on