Water in the ship

• Thread starter João Carlos Pereira Martins
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Sorry if somebody had already done this question, but I would like to know where was the water at 0.45? Have it already reached boiler room No4? And at what time did the water start to enter into the Dining Saloon? I think you'll help me in this issue.

Best regards, João

J

I know from Colonel Gracie's biography that a short time after midnight water started pooring in the squash court. I suppose that by 0.30 the turkish baths were partially flooded. Many third class passengers reported they saw water entering their rooms little after 0.15 and a lot of seamen stated that the icy waters flooded their quarters by 0.20. Can anybody help me with the previous questions?

J

Anybody can help me, please? I'm really needed that information.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
João: The best I can do right now is to direct you to the British Inquiry Report here: http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq/BOTReport/BOTRep01.html. Then go to the links under
ANNEX TO THE REPORT

3. DESCRIPTION OF THE DAMAGE TO THE SHIP AND OF ITS GRADUAL AND FINAL EFFECT, WITH OBSERVATIONS THEREON
Extent of the Damage
Time in which the Damage was done
The Flooding in the first 10 Minutes
Gradual Effect of the Damage
Final Effect of the Damage
Observations
Effect of Additional Subdivision upon floatation

You may find what you are looking for there.

J

It may be a stupid question or commentary, but when the water started pouring on the A-deck cabins, were there any first class passengers? Well, supposing that the windows did not break, so how the water reached them? By the Grand Staircase flooding?

Regards, João

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unless somebody deliberately chose to stay down below decks, by this point in time most if not all of the 1st cabin was well out of there. It's not as if there was any real point in remaining there.

Not that there were a lot of other options...

Apr 24, 2003
I remember reading in Walter Lords "A Night to remember":
At 0.45. A.M. the turkish bath was dry, but shortly later, the water reached also this area.

I remember, somebody reached this area at 0.45. and noticed water streaming a little from e-deck (scotland road) the staircase down to turkish bath.
So i guess, at 0.45.A.M., water just reached the e-deck area above the turkish bath.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Hi Manuel. The person was Steward Joseph Wheat. The time seems to fit the situation quite well. About 0:45 the ship was down by the head between 3 to 4 degrees. The water would have been finding its way aft on deck E there being no watertight bulkheads to block it in that part of the ship. On deck F below, the water would have been held back by bulkhead F just forward of the Turkish bath space.

Aug 10, 2002
Trevor:
Thank you for the complement. All I did was make drawings to illustrate what people said they saw and when they claimed to have seen it. I'm now using information from it to look into the calculations of flooding rate.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Haowei Shi

Aug 25, 2010
Avon,Indiana
This is what I think:first five compartments flooded when the ship scraped iceberg,2345-0000:mail r. flooded.0000-0015:squash q. flooded,water enter for. 3rd. sections.0015-0030 water still didn't reach E deck,flooding the F deck forward.0030-0045:water reached E deck,flooding E deck first class staircase.0045-0100:water starts to spill aft.0100-0115:eek:ne of the bulkhead bust,water into BR.N4.0115-0130:water reach the words TITANIC under bow.0130-0145:water flooding the 1st class saloon.0145-0200:water flooding the 1st C deck GSC.0200-0215:water reach the bridge.0215-0220:doom bursts,funnels fall,ship breaks and sinks.
smile.gif

Haowei
FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.